PDA

View Full Version : Tank idea- Broadcast spawners- lazy man's breeding.

spidangular
06-10-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking about setting up a tank with a bunch of species of small , more peaceful broadcast spawning fish, and no bottom feeders. This way some of everything would breed and survive. Perhaps, I would have corydoras & Small Plecos for glass cleaning?
Has anybody tried something like this? I'm thinking of keeping neon tetras, CPDs, endlers (I know, livebearer) does anybody have other suggestions? Also considering chili rasboras. Please let me know of conflicts.

The bottoms of the tank will be a ton of plants, pelia, and moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HN1
06-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Any plecos or cories in the tank will reduce the yield to minimum. Even the smaller fish will eat their own eggs. You can have some survival if the tank is heavily planted enough (or you rotate mops), but generally speaking a tank set up specifically for breeding the egg scatterers will do better. Ken S. has a set up that I need to reproduce for those types of fish. Basically a small tank with mesh supported off the bottom with PVC pipes so that the large fish can't get under, but the eggs can.

spidangular
06-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks, but this can't be a breeding tank. It's more of an experiment to see how many fish I can raise in a passive manner and not have my living space look like a makeshift science experiment.

mountainman36
06-10-2014, 08:40 PM
you will have to keep the species to a minimum, and probably no endlres with those small cpds and chili rasboras....too much activity for them, and they likely wont spawn. Neons likely need a single species set up.

But what you propose wil lwork. ive set up a small 5.5 with pencilfish and i had babies, and black emperor tetras too, although i rotated moss every week or so, and the babies hatched out in a different tank.
thats my experiences

HN1
06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks, but this can't be a breeding tank. It's more of an experiment to see how many fish I can raise in a passive manner and not have my living space look like a makeshift science experiment.

No need to experiment. With your current plan, I would base my hypothesis on zero. My apologies for attempting to provide more information. There are variations of your plan that could work, I'd suggest exploring those. Good luck.

byork
06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
not corys or plecos for cleaning if anything ottos. Not sure I would even use those maybe just a nerite snail.

spidangular
06-11-2014, 10:54 AM
No need to experiment. With your current plan, I would base my hypothesis on zero.

A couple years ago I had a community tank with no plants, just rocks and driftwood and a bunch of different fish, some were not peaceful, and nature provided a good number of surviving corydoras, zebra danios, and endlers. So with a floor full of moss, it's very likely to have a higher yield than before. But thanks for your words of encouragement.

My apologies for attempting to provide more information.

I have no idea what prompted you to apologize . I re-read my response to your initial post and can't find anything in what I wrote to be the least bit obnoxious. I just wrote that my objective is not a full blown breeding endeavor because the tank needs to look nice for the room it is in, so a screen at the bottom is not an option. ( yes, a little more detail provided in this post.. I've had several tanks that have been eyesores due to DIY projects and that simply has to change)

Let's call it a misunderstanding and move on. I don't want to be a part of a feud due to tones getting mixed up or misconstrued over the internet. We've always had pleasant interactions at the meetings. You do a lot for the club and I certainly do appreciate it.

Does anybody have other ideas for fish?

spidangular
06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
For some reason it won't let me go back and edit, or o can't find that button in the app, but I would like to remove the "but thanks for your words of encouragement" part. I understood your "hypothesis to zero" line as a statement that you were didn't think this was going to work at all; however, I re-read it trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and perhaps you meaning it in a more literal way an weren't being passive aggressive. So, sorry!

HN1
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
No worries at all. Sorry if my post came off weird. It seems internet inflection doesn't exist yet. lol

I didn't understand the pre-reqs (if you will) of the tank from the first post and was suggesting a way that I have witnessed work for those fish. You can get fry from egg scatterers in a heavily planted tank for sure. Our only tetra BAP points were the result of packing a twenty with hornwort and flame tetras. I still would recommend against the cories and plecos though. They are just too good at finding eggs IME.