PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback please.

Stephen Cooper
06-10-2014, 02:24 PM
I currently have a 55g aquarium. I would love to eventually be able to breed Jack Dempsies, but I am not currently positive of the sex of the two that I have. I will add some picture when I take them tonight with the hopes of you guys helping me.

Question 1:
Im thinking about adding a 10gal sump/refugium under my 55gal main tank. The tank itself is glass, not acrylic. I have never done a sump/refugium setup. The reason I want to do this is to get rid of my HOB filters and to also have a place to house JD fry/babies. Will this work? Any advice?

Question 2:
I can not get my water to be crystal clear. WHY? My substrate is not dirty, my filters are working just fine, I have used minor tap/conditioner additives and followed the instructions on the labels but I cannot seem to get the tank to clear up. I know it's not the glass. Im boggled.

Question 3:
I have been wanting to set up a breeding system with some type of freshwater fish that I could sell. Nothing to expensive but something that I can take the profits and help fund my aquariaholic condition.
I have NO experience with freshwater breeding. I have been a saltwater person most of my aquarium days.

Question 4:
I have thought about doing a little 20g for just plants. I have not experience with plants and the more that I read the more I become confused about several things. DO i need to lay a substrate/fertilizer.. etc .. etc. Or is that just what's done for the higher end planted tanks? Is there a filter system used on planted tanks or are the plants the filter system? Im sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm used to corals and anemones.

Question 5:
I have a Hexagon/corner tank that I been trying to reseal. I have purchased the marineland sealant for the tank but it turned out to look like crap. Im currently letting my 2nd attempt cure for 48 hours but I used DAP 100% silicone that did not contain any mold/mildew resistant chemicals.. I can already tell that it looks like crap. I have purchased "caulK' tools that are supposed to give you a nice looking bead..Im sure the tool works right, but apparently I dont. Any tips/suggestions.. volunteers?

Question 6:
Would anyone around the Covington Ga area be interested in stopping by and checking out my tank and giving any advice?

cswain123
06-10-2014, 07:33 PM
For the 20 g planted tank you'll need a substrate unless you plan on all floating or potted plants. No filter required unless you're adding fish. The water being cloudy not sure about. If your tap water is clear then your tank should be too. I'd just do big water changes every couple days and that should help. The sump can be glass. There are some good videos in YouTube for making them. Keeping fry in there could be tricky depending on the setup. Need some secure sponges in the transition areas to keep them from going in the pump. Check out king of DIY on YouTube for resealing the tank. I used GE silicon and lined the corners with painters tape. I found Scotch tape to work better and didn't leave a residue. It'll give you sharp lines on the edge of the silicon. I just used a caulk Gun to apply it then my finger to press it in. Worked well in a 40g for me. Checking out the DIY YouTube videos will probably help a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

cswain123
06-10-2014, 09:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdZy59Gbsc this is a long vid for the sump but I liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKactsdPpO8 this is the resealing vid. Its from king of diy. he has lots of good videos for aquariums. Hopefully this makes the tape thing more clear.

Just curious why don't you try clownfish breeding since you have more saltwater experience. It seems really interesting. I have no saltwater experience but I've read some about clownfish breeding. The results for most seem dismal but its worth a shot if you've already got the saltwater stuff setup. There were a couple other saltwater fish I read about breeding. I think one was the cardinal fish. the weird looking ones that are in most lfs.

byork
06-11-2014, 07:15 AM
1. I have a 120 with a 29 diy sump. I have raised out fry in a chamber in the sump. However, this does present problems. So examples include the water flow rate is to high for the fry to compete which wears them down and they die, they flow over the baffle, the sump is designed to remove debris and the chamber I have is what I would call a settlement chamber this means it gets dirty. Fry don't like it dirty unless they are cat fish or very hardy fish. Raising out fry in the sump increases the difficulty of cleaning the sump compounding the problem. The sump work well for plants and endlers.

2. Your water could be cloudy for many reasons but my first guess would be a bacterial bloom. It may or may not be harmful it would definitely reduce DO. How long has the tank been up?

3. Not sure about breeding being profitable. It may allow you to break even. I doubt you will make any money unless you have a huge set up and I doubt Jack Dempseys will be profitable unless they are the blues or pinks. Not trying to discourage you from breeding them. You could get the BAP points and move on to other cichlids. This may assist you in finding a more profitable fish. Also where do you plan to sell?

4. Plants would not require a filter and really a couple of fish wouldn't either but they would require circulation. You would need something to get water movement. You will get dead spots.

5. Not sure you will find someone to reseal a hexagon for free but pm me and I can give you a couple of names that might be able to help you or some pointers so you can diy.

6. I am not hardly ever in Covington but if you post pics you will likely get more advice/pointers than you want.

Best of luck,
Brooke

Stephen Cooper
06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Thank you all for the comments and replies. I know it's a lot of questions shooting into different directions and I apologize. I have so many and have read so much. I learn more and more on a daily basis and it seems to open the door for more questions.

I have decided to forget the sump on the 55gal. I'm just going to add a canister style filter to get rid of the HOB filters and change the gravel out to black sand. I will also add some real driftwood instead of the fake and paint the back of the tank black.

I had painted my octagon/corner tank black as well already since I had it down for silicone repairs. I thought it looked like crap but after cleaning up some edges with a razor blade and after cleaning the tank It turned out amazing looking. I'll post a picture of it later on. For my first complete "Reseal" job, I'm impressed. I filled it up with water last night and put a filter on it and will let it run for a couple of days. Then I will drain it and set it to the side until I can decide what to put in it.

Im going to do some more research on the planted tanks. I just think that the aquascuplutre's that I have seen are so beautiful, it makes you want to give it a try.

As for the breeding, if you were to try to become a breeder of a certain species of freshwater fish, what would you suggest? I dont want to get rich by any means, but I would love my hobby to be able to support itself. Anything to make it easier on the wallet, I will never turn down.

Thank you for the links to the videos. I have been watching a lot of the DIY Kings videos already and quite a few others. I really enjoy his videos.

byork
06-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I think you should breed your favorite fish. It will be worth it if you enjoy it.

Mog Carns
06-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Ms. York's point is that no matter what fish it is, if you do not like it, you will not stick with it... at least not until you have a lot of tanks.

If it is easy to breed, there is no money in it.

If the market is niche, there is no money in it.

byork
06-12-2014, 07:45 AM
That is exactly what I was trying to say! I have always loved kribs. There's no money in them. I can hardly find them homes where they will not be feeders but I love them and enjoy them very much. So I continue to keep them. Just for the enjoyment not for the money. They are great fish!

Chris Noto
06-12-2014, 07:52 AM
If it is easy to breed, there is no money in it.
If the market is niche, there is no money in it.

To sum up: "If it is your hobby, there is no money in it."
Auto racers have an old saying, "The way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one."
Same deal.

If you love fish, keep doing it for love. I've seen hobbyists start chasing the buck, lose heart, and drop the hobby all together.

Stephen Cooper
06-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank you all. I have decided to stick with my Jack Dempsies. They are such beautiful fish to me. I did a lot of work on my tank last night as well as on the other tank. The original tank that I had resealed still leaked. It was a MUCH slower leak but still a leak. I drained it last night and I will be resealing it for the 3rd attempt tonight or tomorrow. I'm getting better each time.

On my main tank the 55 gallon, I removed all the gravel and decor and added play sand. I watched a few videos on the process and purchased the play sand from walmart for 2.79 for a 25lb bag. I bought 3 bags and only needed one. I did find that one of my heaters had quit and my water temp was sub par breeding the JD's. My water temp is at a constant 75.6 and I will be adding another heater to up the water temp to about 82 degrees. I also re-decorated the tank adding a few fake plants for aesthetic reasons and added a more flat/slate rocks for them to lay their eggs on. I also added a couple of small 6" clay pots for them to use as hiding places as well. I have a fake tree trunk that they like so I left that and also rescaped the other rocks in the tank. I already love the new sand and the fish took to it immediately playing and sifting through it. My water parameters are a little out of whack at the moment and it's still a little cloudy but I believe this to be new tank syndrome. I also upgraded the Aerator as well while I was out shopping. I'm getting there slowly.

Mog Carns
06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
If we started calling them "African Apistos", I am sure we could sell them for $20 a pair.

ronv
06-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I have not read through this whole thread but I notice that you tried several time to seal an aquarium. Just be sure to remove all the old silicone. Some folks have attempted to just add more silicone over the old. It won't work.

byork
06-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Very true Ron. Also if the seal between the glass has been broken, which it has if it's leaking. You will likely need to dismantle the entire thing make a frame to hold the glass perfectly in place. Then take extremely fine sand paper to the seemed edges after removing what you can with a blade. After sanding use alcohol to clean the seems. Then seal between the glass be sure the angels are all perfect. Then seal the interior corners. That has worked for me numerous times. Good luck!

byork
06-12-2014, 08:10 PM
If we started calling them "African Apistos", I am sure we could sell them for $20 a pair.

I think that's a great idea. I wonder if that is against the rules at the auctions?

Stephen Cooper
06-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Well I'm still working on completely removing all the old silicon from the leaking tank. I am really having a problem getting the top and bottom plastic retaining lids off at this point. I have been using a ton of razor blades and alcohol and acetone. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to make this process easier? I dont want to keep going through this process. I must have had some old silicone left in there from the first attempt. This time I'm removing ALL silicone and going to repolish the class. I found a few spots on the glass where rocks etc had scratched it. I love this little tank, so it's worth it for me. I have been scraping and cleaning for the past week on it and It's still not ready.

cswain123
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I only resealed the inside of mine so the bottom plastic piece stayed on. I would have liked to get the to plastic piece off but it ended up staying on too. I just got as much as I could at the top.I think I got it all.top corners were the most difficult. I think as long as the inside is sealed tight you should be good. I think if you got the top and bottom plastic pieces and all the silicon off your tank may just be a stack of glass panels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

byork
06-16-2014, 04:59 PM
You can buy replacement frames. Then you don't have to worry about damaging them during removal.

Roger
06-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Once you find were it is leaking from remove silicone from just below to just above and reseal that. You do not need to reseal the entire tank. A busted seam is a little harder but you do not need to remove the frame. Then again I am not an expert I have only resealed a few dozen and nothing larger than 125 gallons. But I never had one leak after I resealed it.

Stephen Cooper
06-17-2014, 12:12 PM
I made an error when I first began the project.

The tank is a Corner 45 styled tank just like this one:
The leak was coming from the front center panel of glass on the right side seam. I cut out the seam and resealed it with marineland aquarium sealant originally. I did not remove the entire seam, I only did a small spot a couple of inches above and below the leaking area. I did not even think about the INSIDE of the tank. I was busy panicking and trying to save my fish at that point. Well, after some more reading and investigating I learned that I should not have removed the outside seal on this type of tank, I should have resealed the entire INSIDE of the tank. Which brings me to the point where I am at now. I have been going home and scraping and cleaning a little bit every day and just taking my time with it this time. I actually have some ideas with this little tank and stand. In the picture you can see that on the stand it has little "shelves" and the center opens for storage. I was thinking about removing the shelves and getting some acrylic and filling that area in on the left and right sides and adding a 10g sump to the bottom and making it flow like chambers through all the parts. In the lower part where the shelves were I would do some plants that would tie into the sump some how and help with filtration.

Something like this is my end goal with this tank/project