PDA

View Full Version : Need Jack Dempsey Sex Confirmation

Stephen Cooper
06-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to get some clarification that both of my Jack Dempsies are males please.

Fish #1

Fish #1

I have been wanting to breed Jack Dempsies and am finally going forward with it soon. I will be possibly adding a sump/refugium below the stand and will be changing the substrate to black sand and painting 3 sides of the tank. I will be adding some small clay pots as well and if these are BOTH males ( I think they are) I will be removing/trading one for a female.

Thanks for your time!

peathenster
06-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Yes two males

Stephen Cooper
06-11-2014, 09:01 AM
My wife sent a pic of the same fish. She misunderstood me. Here is the other fish. The blue on the gil plate leads me to think that it's a female, but the pointed fins lead me to think that it is a male.

Here is the male, a better pic.

peathenster
06-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Top pic does look like a female. They are easy to vent too. Net it out at night when it's asleep and flip it over...

Stephen Cooper
06-11-2014, 11:20 AM
I have read about venting but never tried it. I may end up giving it a shot. I have had these JD's about 1.5 to 2 years and they have never bred or even layed eggs. One is larger and more colorful, the smaller one has the blue on the gil plate. I really believe one to be female and one to be a male, but they just won't breed for some reason. Im going to raise my water temp a couple degrees over a couple of days to around 82-85 degrees and give that a try. I also plan on changing the substrate to black sand from gravel and adding a few smaller flower pots. I have tried placing a mirror on the outside of the tank to make the male aggressive towards his reflection. I have heard that this method makes the female more succeptable to mating by watching the male.

Any other suggestions/ideas?