PDA

View Full Version : New Spawn!!! TAP points!

Apisto Jim
06-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Last Fall I was adopted by a flock of turkeys who followed me up my driveway after I picked up my newspaper. That night they roosted in the bed of my pickup so I served them breakfast around my bird feeder. Originally there were two pairs, and then one pair disappeared. This winter they picked up an additional small male.

The reverse trio came back this spring with 3 chicks! I have fed them only 7 or 8 times, but they now come when called. They come up right to me and have less fear of me than I have of the large male (whom we've named "Thanksgiving") who reaches my shoulder when he stand up straight. His wife ("Christmas") and the chicks would eat out of my hand if I let them (which I won't.) The third male ("Hanukkah") seems a little clueless and is often chased by the larger one.

They spend the day wandering the neighborhood and the large male loves to display and block traffic. Most nights they will roost in the trees in our yard or our neighbor's. We used to have some large dogs running around (dithers?) - I have not seen any of them since the chicks have arrived.

Roger
06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanksgiving meeting at Jim's?

HN1
06-20-2014, 03:43 PM
I'll bring the peanut oil.

karl
06-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Start feeding them lots of corn ;)