PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this native fish

superfly724
06-21-2014, 10:44 PM
My fiance and I were watching my creek late this evening, and spotted a fish we've never seen before. Among the creek chubs, crawfish, and mudpuppies that usually populate this stream, we spotted this new critter. I've lived in this house for going on 13 years now. The stream is literally 20 feet from my back steps, and I've fished this stream and watched it for a good number of years and have never seen one of these before. My first thought was a darter, but it doesn't meet most of those characteristics. My second guess was a goby, and it looks close to a Round Goby, but the markings don't quite match. This is a stream in the middle of Georgia about 10 miles from the nearest river, which would be the Chattahoochee.

superfly724
06-21-2014, 11:07 PM
I jumped the gun. Did some digging on native species and found out he's a Chattahoochee Sculpin.

mountainman36
06-22-2014, 09:30 PM
yes, thats a sculpin. Cool fish...i spent a lot of time in streams while at UGA during my pursuit of a fisheries degree....i worked a couple of jobs where we sampled streams and have caught dozens of the little guys....neat fish. We once had some in a bucket up near cherokee NC and one of the sculpins ate a darter almost as big as he was...they can handle slightly warmer water, but still prefer no more than 80 degrees i beleive