PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend south or central American chichlids

vaindioux
06-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi

I have a 55ga with 2 penguin filters, a 200 and a 350. I have only 1 fish in there right now, a peaceful 7" Red devil. What easily obtainable and affordable south American/central American. cichlid in local fish stores would you recommend for that set up?
I had read that red devils were very mean cichlids but I used to have other smaller fish than him and there was never a fight or bullying on his part and I am pretty sure it's a male as it has a bump over his head.
I attached a pic I found online I have the same looking fish.

Thanks

Patrick

peathenster
06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
I think you already have a good stock ;)

Very often aggressive fish tolerate small fish that are not perceived as threat.

Don
06-22-2014, 09:01 PM
It may be tough to find cichlid tank mates that it won't spar with. Were your smaller fish Cichlids? Red Devils (as many C. or S.A cichlids) are usually intolerant of other cichlids, especially when they are not in large tanks with enough inhabitants to spread out the jousting that comes with establishing territory or a pecking order.

Mog Carns
06-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Buenos Aires Tetras

Assuming you are looking for something else with some activity. They are usually $1.49 at the box stores, move constantly, are fast enough to get out of trouble, and too big to be eaten under normal circumstances.

vaindioux
06-23-2014, 02:25 PM
How about dwarf cichlids or a pair of breeding convicts?

Don
06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Breeding convicts will defend their territory against anything, even if it means they lose the fight. You don't have enough space in a 55 to avoid damage. Dwarf Cichlids usually do best in moderate to heavily planted tanks, Red Devils are huge excavators and will uproot anything you put in the substrate. Better bet would be going with something that's not a cichlid.

vaindioux
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
How about only 1 convict? No breeding aggressiveness and small enough not to be conceived as a threat by the red devil?

Don
06-23-2014, 09:46 PM
I'd advise against making a 55 gallon aquarium a "Large" C. Or S.A. Cichlid tank based on the inherent nature of these fish and the bio-load they produce when they get some size. Not saying it can't be done successfully. I've done it (was younger and just had to have the fish I wanted without getting more space). At a minimum, have a "hospital tank" ready, when (not if) you need to get stock separated. A 6ft tank would be a better minimum size for what I think you are trying to accomplish. If you are set on the 55. I'd stock the tank pretty heavily with multiple hides for each fish and some serious filtration. Just be vigilant.

ronv
06-24-2014, 06:31 AM
How about a female red devil and a tank divider. You may get babies...

heatherbeast
06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm already nervous seeing that devil in the 55. So lonely. :(

heatherbeast
06-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Without the devil, I'd recommend some of the smaller pike cichlids. I really regret selling off my saxatalis lady, she had tons of personality!

vaindioux
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
How about a female red devil and a tank divider. You may get babies...

Now that is a nice idea. I will check my lfs to see if they have any

thxs

pat

peathenster
06-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Now that is a nice idea. I will check my lfs to see if they have any

thxs

pat

I'm not sure if Ron was actually being serious. That's 24"x12" footprint for each 7" fish (that will continue to grow).

It's not uncommon for people to keep a single "wet pet" like a RD or midas in a 55, although personally I think it's too small for long term. Adding a single con should work as long as you arrange the decors to create areas only accessible by the con.

Generally speaking, and as you probably already know, there are two ways to have peace in an aggressive CA tank - keep a single fish, or overcrowd a bigger tank so that nobody can establish a territory or consistently harass a specific target. For a 55g, the second option won't work.

vaindioux
06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=243279

Interesting find

peathenster
06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=243279

Interesting find

See post #2

vaindioux
06-24-2014, 06:09 PM
I am going to set up a hospital tank and add hiding places to my 55ga when done I will go get myself some convicts if hell breaks loose with the red devil I will isolate convicts in hospital tank and return to the LFS.

Patrick

ronv
06-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Actually Peter, I am serious. But not for long term. If the two fish become a "pair" it shouldn't take but a month or so. The spawning pair could then be sold and you are left with a tank full of babies. I have actually kept a spawning pair of devils in a 55 before. Keep up the water changes....