PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Algae Eaters (or maybe not?)

Aquarius Maximus
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM
3136 3137 3138 3139 3140

Hey everyone, we just picked up three beautiful SAEs at PETSMART on sale for $1.11 each - GREAT PRICE and the fish are active and gorgeous. But I was reading up on SAE facts, and apparently a lot of fish are SOLD as Siamese Algae Eaters that really aren't. Does anyone have any tips for determining what I really have in my tank? I will have photos soon and can post them here, but they sure LOOK like all the photos on the web of the real thing. Any ideas??

Roger
07-01-2014, 07:23 PM
When taking pictures of them make an effort to get a good shot of the body stripes and tail

Aquarius Maximus
07-01-2014, 08:06 PM
When taking pictures of them make an effort to get a good shot of the body stripes and tail

PLEASE SEE IMAGES ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST:

Hi, Roger! My photos are all blurry and slightly out of focus, so my wife and I found these 5 shots on the web that are al most EXACTLY what we have. Ours are very silvery above and below the stripe, and the stripe goes from mouth through the tail. No yellowish color. Long and slender with flat bottom, NOT a rounded body below lateral stripe. I guess I need to become a better photographer. So far, all they want to eat is ALGAE tabs. Any help is appreciated.

Fidaelio
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
It appears to me SAE, thanks for the post, need couple of them will check Petsmart tomorrow.

spidangular
07-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Don't feed them for two days. They'll get to work on that algae for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquarius Maximus
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
OK, here is the best photo I could get - no thanks to the fish who wouldn't slow down. CLICK pic to see the full size photo. These are VERY active fish, and they seem to be VERY healthy. Here's the best pic I could get from my tank:

Please help me identify.

ADAMS

Aquarius Maximus
07-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Here is the best I could get:

CLICK TO SEE FULL SIZED PIC.

caricell
07-02-2014, 07:52 AM
That is an SAE.

Here is the best I could get:

CLICK TO SEE FULL SIZED PIC.

Aquarius Maximus
07-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the I.D., Larry! That being the case, I am headed back to Petco today to get 3 more. I love these fish - very active and they almost always travel "in formation".

caricell
07-02-2014, 11:35 AM
That is an excellent price for the SAEs.

Thanks for the I.D., Larry! That being the case, I am headed back to Petco today to get 3 more. I love these fish - very active and they almost always travel "in formation".

Fidaelio
07-02-2014, 12:23 PM

It was Petco or Petsmart ?

Aquarius Maximus
07-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Sorry for the MIX-UP, it was PETSMART near Gwinnett Place Mall. We went to PETSMART at Northlake today (they get restock of fish every Wednesday morning), and we were told that the Northlake store was always given a different selection of fish, so they never carry SAEs. But they had a very nice tank of young TIGER BARBS, on sale for only 80 cents each. If I get back to Gwinnett Place soon, I plan to pick up another SAE!

Fidaelio
07-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks, got 3 SAEs today, Petsmart label them as flying fox but they are same and its great price. 80 cents per tiger barb is very exciting but if you are setting up a community tank and new to the hobby then go slow with the barbs. Hope you got at least 6 tiger barbs otherwise you might have already started seeing the reactions. My barbs were too fun to watch in the beginning but now they are grown up, almost impossible to catch in planted tank, steal the eggs from Blue Rams, behaves like shark during feeding time. They are currently sharing tank with Guppies, Sword tails, Paradise and Blue Rams but I'm setting up a 55G to move others and leave their tank as species only. They are always active and very fun to watch.

Sorry for the MIX-UP, it was PETSMART near Gwinnett Place Mall. We went to PETSMART at Northlake today (they get restock of fish every Wednesday morning), and we were told that the Northlake store was always given a different selection of fish, so they never carry SAEs. But they had a very nice tank of young TIGER BARBS, on sale for only 80 cents each. If I get back to Gwinnett Place soon, I plan to pick up another SAE!