PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead fittings

stevenjohn21
07-01-2014, 11:17 PM
I have 15x 20 gallon tanks that I am wanting to make water changes simple. My plan is to drill 2 holes next to each other on one side of the tank (which will actually be the back when they are on the rack) and connect 3/4" bulkheads. I plan on connecting one to the water mains so when i turn a valve, freshwater will enter the tank. The other one will be connected to the waste pipe via a pump.
Whats the easiest way to connect the bulkheads to 1) the 1/2" copper pipe and 2) the pvc pipe that connects to the pump ? Will i have to get the slip X thread fittings or slip X slip fittings ?

Stephen Cooper
07-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I prefer the threaded fittings myself. I use teflon tape as well on my threads. You can use the paste but I dont like to. I feel that it could have more toxic qualities to it and then if any should get inside of the line it could cause more harm to the aquarium than good.

I wanted to make sure that I understood you correctly, are you saying that you have 15 20g. tanks or your tank is 15x20? Or you have several 15x20 tanks? Are you planning to tie them in all together so you can drain and fill them all the same time? Or in sets, rows, etc?

The only reason I ask is that if you have various types of fish with different requirements for water conditions this can be tricky if you are trying to do them all at once. One thing I would also recommend is to put a PVC cap on the fittings inside the tank so that you don't lose small fish. I normally drill several holes into the cap itself. Some people just take a saw of some type and drill "slits". I have also seen some where they used a mesh material. They have all worked well for their intended application. It's just a recommendation.

If you need help let me know. Im in Covington Ga, not that far from Lawrenceville.

Roger
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Jehmco has bulkhead fittings and screens. Why drill on the same side? I prefer slip connections in case I need to move or change a tank I do not have to cut it out. Threaded unions work also but are more expensive. I prefer threaded connection from pvc to copper and the pump but put a union just above in case I have to replace the pump.

stevenjohn21
07-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Should have explained myself better.
I have fifteen 20 gallonH tanks. The rack is 3 shelves so each shelf will have 5 tanks on each.
I would like to connect them all as one unit for filling and emptying just for the ease of things but yes it will be tricky when it comes to having fish needing different water conditions, I will have to do my homework on the species I can and cannot keep.

I'm drilling 2 holes in the back so I don't have ugly pipe work showing, these tanks will be viewed from side to side which will be my back to front .... If that makes sense

Stephen Cooper
07-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Well lets get some sketches going man!

mountainman36
07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
all sounds good to me. but PVC is way easier to work with than copper, plus its cheaper.