PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying sex of German Blue Rams

Aquarius Maximus
07-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Stopped by PetSmart today on LaVista across from Northlake Mall just inside 285, not planning to buy anything. They had a nice supply of very young and very small German Blue Rams on sale for $5.49 each. Just could not resist picking up what looked like a sharp male and female. Here are a few pics. (I wish someone would teach me how to take better photos of my fish). BTW, please help me identify the sex of these two fish. Am I right that the black stripe on the leading edge of the pelvic fins indicates a male? One clearly has the stripe, the other does not. John

3165 3166 3167 3168 3169 3170

Larry Bugg
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM
First time that I've ever heard that about the pelvic fins. I'll have to check it out. The female is always rounder and most time you can look at the abdominal area and see a pink area. When she is breeding it is well defined and very noticeable. Normally the dorsal and anal fins on the males are longer on the male and extend back a little ways into the tail fin. The first pic is a female and the third pic is the male.

Aquarius Maximus
07-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks Larry! My 55g has 5 SAEs, 9 tiger barbs & 8 black skirt tetras, all of which are slightly larger physically than the GBRs. The tank has plenty of slate caves, and i plan to add half a clay flower pot from HD. I change 2.5 gallons 2x/week, and everyone seems happy. Can you give me any tips to make breeding more likely? I have not tested my water at all.

Larry Bugg
07-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Getting them to breed in your tank shouldn't be the issue but you won't have any luck raising them in there. They will be quickly eaten. Is your tank planted? I'm curious about the 5 SAE. They will get to be 4 to 5" and will be more than you will probably want in there. JMO. I also don't believe that tiger barbs are good tank mates for GBR. My last observation is that I would like to see more than 2.5 gallons twice a week. My non-discus tanks get a 50% change once a week. Rams are real sticklers for clean water. With GBR you don't need the caves or flower pots. Rams like to lay on a flat surface. If the flower pot is laying on it's side then they may lay inside on the bottom. The best for GBR are clay flower pot saucers (smallest ones) turned upside down. If you have one or two of these in the tank they will seek it out and choose it for their spawning site. If you want to raise fry then you are either going to have to pull the pair and put them in a tank of their own or you will need to pull the eggs or wigglers and move them to a tank of their own.

Igster
07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
First time that I've ever heard that about the pelvic fins. I'll have to check it out. The female is always rounder and most time you can look at the abdominal area and see a pink area. When she is breeding it is well defined and very noticeable. Normally the dorsal and anal fins on the males are longer on the male and extend back a little ways into the tail fin. The first pic is a female and the third pic is the male.

Another way to tell females apart from males is by looking at the black shoulder spot. In females the electric blue dots sprinkled around that area actually go into the black spot, whereas in males the black spot is completely free of the blue dots - ringed by them yes, but not "invaded".

Here's a link to a page with pics of some true GBRs (which seem to have broader bodies than the "normal" ones): http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=21082
According to this guy females have a black leading edge on their pelvic fins, whereas males do not.