PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help needed

joquin
07-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I recently upgraded to 110 gallon tank (60L x 24T x 18W) that came with two dual bulb 24 in T5HO light fixtures. I moved my plants over from my previous 72 gallon aquarium but the lights on the new tank are not cutting it and my plants are dying. I need to upgrade the lights but 1) don't really know what I need and 2) want to avoid breaking the bank if possible. I need a high light amount for the plants I have and would like enough light to get to the bottom of the tank to support carpeting plants. I have a CO2 system and dose my tank so I am set up to handle a lot of light, I just need to first get a lot of light. I saw that Drs. Foster and Smith is having a sale (as was pointed out on this forum) and have read decent reviews of the Marineland Plant LED light. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this light would be sufficient or, if not, have any recommendations on how I should go about lighting my tank?

Thanks for your help!

Roger
07-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I recently acquired 2 - 48" Marineland Plant LED lights one for each of my 2 -planted 55's. I replaced a 48" T5 (110W)on one and 48" CF(230W) on the other. I do not use CO2 but I do dose Excel, Trace and Flourish. I have noticed a big difference in the growth rate of the plants in the tank that had the T5 and some difference in the tank that had CF ( but this tank also has slower growing plants ). I set the timer for 10 hrs a day, I really like these lights

Hilde
07-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Try http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/. They have sales at times. Perhaps do DIY with T5 shop lights from hardware store

joquin
07-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. Every time I upgrade to a larger tank I have to figure out lighting all over again. In the past I have just used the trial and error method but as the tanks get bigger that process gets more expensive, so I would rather get it right the first time around. Thanks again for your help!

Roger
07-11-2014, 07:30 AM
One thing I have noticed with LED lights is the Plant LED is 3 watt bulbs and double bright are 1 watt and many others are .1 or less.

Adrian912
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I recently upgraded to 110 gallon tank (60L x 24T x 18W) that came with two dual bulb 24 in T5HO light fixtures. I moved my plants over from my previous 72 gallon aquarium but the lights on the new tank are not cutting it and my plants are dying. I need to upgrade the lights but 1) don't really know what I need and 2) want to avoid breaking the bank if possible. I need a high light amount for the plants I have and would like enough light to get to the bottom of the tank to support carpeting plants. I have a CO2 system and dose my tank so I am set up to handle a lot of light, I just need to first get a lot of light. I saw that Drs. Foster and Smith is having a sale (as was pointed out on this forum) and have read decent reviews of the Marineland Plant LED light. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this light would be sufficient or, if not, have any recommendations on how I should go about lighting my tank?

Thanks for your help!
Definitely keep your eyes open for LED fixtures that say "plant" on its title. Might sound silly and obvious but you would be surprised how many LED fixtures are only good enough for simply lighting the tank and nothing more. Also try to familiarize yourself with PAR levels. That is really the most important piece of information that you need to look for on an LED system that you're interested in. Some LED fixtures will actually have the information on the page letting you know what the PAR levels are at the different depths of the aquarium. Good luck!