PDA

View Full Version : First pair of Angelfish spawned

cswain123
07-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Went to change the water in my 65 gallon today and saw two angels spawning!!! My first pair! They decided to spawn on the tube running from an in tank pump out to a filter. If the eggs are still there and viable in a day or two I'm planning to rubber band a sponge over the pump intake and lower the flow. They're also in a community tank with some shark like black skirt tetras so idk how much of a chance they have after hatching. Definitely moving the pair to their own tank after this spawn though. Also got some super red and albino ancistrus today so it's been an exciting fish day!

cswain123
07-17-2014, 04:45 PM
http://youtu.be/fa7hG6EidUY

Link should be a short clip of them.

cswain123
07-18-2014, 03:39 PM
No eggs left today :( . Oh well hopefully next time will be more successful. Put in a nice piece of slate for them so hopefully they'll choose it as the spawn site next time.

mountainman36
07-19-2014, 07:46 AM
my suggestion would be to go ahead and separate them to a 10-15 gallon tank. They will be more likely to spawn there and less likely to get scared and eat the eggs, or something else eat them.

caricell
07-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Agreed, however a 20 gallon tank would probably work best. I do have some of my angels spawning in 10 gals, but 20 seems to work better.

Larry

my suggestion would be to go ahead and separate them to a 10-15 gallon tank. They will be more likely to spawn there and less likely to get scared and eat the eggs, or something else eat them.

cswain123
07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some fish moved around and free up a twenty. Then I guess it's a waiting game. Hopefully more pair up soon.

Larry Bugg
07-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Did you see the breeding tubes when they were spawning? Are you sure they are a male/female? I sometimes wait for wigglers before moving a pair just to be sure. I like the extra height of a 29 for angel pairs.

cswain123
07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I did see their tubes extended. They definitely weren't the same. Definitely a great point though. I had the two that spawned both pegged as males.

Larry Bugg
07-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Lol, been there, done that. With discus (and sometimes angels) it isn't unusual to have two females appear to be spawning. Sometimes they are both laying eggs and sometimes the 2nd female is just making runs. I'm never confident till I see the tubes and the wigglers.