PDA

View Full Version : Clout and Cycling

keonetfish
07-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I've heard of Clout killing beneficial bacteria and hindering one's nitrogen cycle. Has anyone had any experience with this?

oxheart
07-20-2014, 04:54 AM
no have never heard that . But on a side note clout has been discontinued , Mardel has stop making it .

heatherbeast
07-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Any antibiotic can wreck your nitrogen cycle. 'Gram-negative' or 'Gram-positive' is a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to antibiotics. If you're treating a single fish, put it in quarantine. If you are treating an entire tank, your filter media may also be hosting large numbers of the pathogen. Feed lightly in the meantime, and once treatment is done, replace filter media with that from an established, non-infected tank.

Larry Bugg
07-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Clout is not an antibiotic. It's three main ingredients are malachite green, metro and tirchlorfon. It is a pretty harsh med. It was banned in a couple of states before they discontinued making it due to cancer. I once used it as an initial treatment for newly imported wild discus. I think it was touted as not affecting the nitrogen cycle. I have an old bottle of it that hasn't been used in years. Guess I should dispose of it.

Roger
07-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Clout contains malachite green, metro and trichlofon. Metro may have a small impact on bacteria. Clout is very effective on external parasites. Trichorofon is an organophosphate and may be why Clout is discontinued. Other products containing it are also disappearring from the market. Do not overdose.