PDA

View Full Version : Mazuri Food

Garfieldnfish
07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
If you have read the Club News letter you may have read the article by David Ramsey and his info on the Mazuri fish food. I am interested in buying a 25 pound bag of both the carnivore and herbivore pellets. Needless to say I will never use the entire bags in my or my fishes lifetimes so I am looking to split them with other members of the club. I will attend the September auction and can bring the bags there. I plan on splitting them into 1 or 1/2 pound bags. A pound bag would translate into $4. 1/2 pound bag for $2. I have not ordered it yet but if I get at least 10 people interested, I will order it this week, measure the food out and bring it to the September auction. I won't open it until right before the auction so it will remain fresh.

ronv
07-29-2014, 05:04 AM
I'm in for a pound of each.

schillbw
07-29-2014, 05:09 AM
I also will take a pound of each. Thanks!

djramsey
07-29-2014, 06:21 AM
I can easily take a lb of each. They have liked the review also. Let me check with my contact and see if I can get a discount or something from them. Never hurts to ask.

Perrin150
07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Count me in
I can take a pound of each pls
thanks
Boni

Pierre
07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Thank you Dave for writing this article. It seems that they also do high quality gel food similar to Repashy, but a bit cheaper. Unfortunately I just ordered 5lb of pellets from a different source. My only concern about their pellets is that they seem to have quite a bit of gluten type ingredients, which, in my mind can cause bloating.

Mazuri ingredients
Fish meal (menhaden), ground soybean hulls, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, spray dried porcine blood cells, fish oil (menhaden), ground oat hulls, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dried egg product, wheat germ, calcium carbonate, spirulina algae, ground flaxseed, dried apple pomace, ground beet pulp, carrageenan, Primalac (Lactobacillus cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifido bacterium bifidium, Enterococcus faecium, rice mill, calcium carbonate), Betaine (a chemo attractant for fish), lecithin, choline chloride, brewers dried yeast, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), ascorbic acid, citric acid, rosemary extract, manganese sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (vitamin K), dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (source of vitamin E), d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural source of vitamin E), copper sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate, canthaxanthin, niacin, dl-methionine, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, marigold extract, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, astaxanthin, sodium selenite, biotin, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Here is a brand without any gluten, which feels very close to what Mazuri food has...: Menhaden Fish Meal, Catfish Meal, Potato Protein, Meat Protein Isolate, Soybean Oil, Gelatin, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Coconut Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Chia Seeds, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Tomato Pomace, Calcium Propionate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Organic Barley Grass Powder, Blueberry, Dried Kelp, Yogurt (Whey, Milk Solids, Yogurt Cultures), Apple Pectin, Fish Oil, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Chicory Root, Hemicellulose Extract, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Yeast Culture, Carrots, Celery, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid [source of Vitamin C], Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Pepper

However, this is dog food. I don't think my catfish would appreciate it ;-). My point is that when it comes to food, quality ingredients is definitely the best way to go. When I can, I avoid using food that contains too much gluten, that is why I like their gel food. A while back I created a spreadsheet that compares different fishfood. Here is the link and you are welcome to PM me with your favorite food to be added to the list. Everyone should be able to access the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqLFeSK10aWPdDFYcXlhclg0b014UTZXZ2ROZmYzR nc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

That is why I favor companies that avoid using gluten. Locally (made in Savannah), we have http://www.paradigmfishfood.com/

djramsey
07-29-2014, 09:12 AM
I agree about the gluten. They were careful with what they were using also. The wheat/gluten/bread is usually what causes the clouding of the water. At least in my experience. That and artificial colors. I really hate it when the water turns red. I have not had any water cloudiness exept when I put in a different brand (won't say I will be nice to them) or do not take out the seeds from the zuchinni. My Ivanacara adoketa gulp these pellets down quickly, and do not regurgitate any or pop pieces out the gills. They get that in very sparing qtys. So far, this is the best I have tried with the best nutritional aspects that the fish will actually eat in volume. I have a sample of the gel powder. I just have not made any up. Using it as just a small fry powder, L10A red lizard fry love it also.
All that said, other than the little sample bags of both, I am just reporting results. I try a lot of foods and only once in a while do I really like one. All the others I don't talk about. As Thumper says, nothing nice, then say nothing. A lot of brands I say nothing about. I do have a couple more from the ACA to try. If they are good, I will pass it on. If not, nothing said.

gofish
07-29-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm in for a pound of each.

Thanks,

Brian

Garfieldnfish
07-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Food has been ordered. I will bring it to the September auction pre-packed in 1 lb baggies as well as a few 1/2 lb ones.

Garfieldnfish
09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
I am bagging the food up tonight. If anyone else wants some let me know. Pierre, I got you down for 3 lbs of the herbivore food. I will bring a few extra bags to enter in the dry auction/buy it now table but I will have to charge a dollar more each bag for the club portion. So pre-ordering would save you some cash.

schillbw
09-19-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm not a frequent meeting attendee and am not sure who you are Garfield. I do wanna say thanks for buying and setting up member sharing. How do I find you on Sunday? Thanks.

Demonfish
09-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Count me in for a pound of each.

Garfieldnfish
09-20-2014, 05:03 AM
I am female with brunette hair. My husband will be coming with me and he is a big guy. My seller number is 10. We will also bring some green folding chairs to sit on (more comfortable than the metal ones) and a red Falcon cooler. We will set up in the back of the auction on the right side.

schillbw
09-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Great thanks!