PDA

View Full Version : My Jewels Finally Spawned!

Dasher
08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I have had a devil of a time figuring out Jewels. I put 6 Jewels in a 55 gallon tank. They seemed to get along fine for years (about 3, I guess) when over the last 3 months I've lost 2 or 3 Jewels to what I thought was old age. I'm down to 3 Jewels now, two big ones and one small one (the runt, I guess) and I had given up on trying to get a spawn. Over the last few weeks of my surgery recovery I went up to Petland Dunwoody and donated some Convicts (yeah!!) and picked up some Salvini Cichlids.

I ended up losing two of the original trio of Salvini's, so I went up to PD and got another trio and added them all to the 55, on the advice from PD that the Jewels could handle the Salvini's (the Salvini's are juveniles right now).

Well, the Jewels up and decided to show me!! They went on and spawned! See the video:

http://youtu.be/VSXyjWZ3dS4

Question - should I remove the Salvini's and odd Jewel and let the parents be? I realize too, the parents might not make it with this first spawn. Another question - shall I remove one of the parents? Will one parent kill the other parent, given time?

More BAP points if I'm lucky!

Dan

ronv
08-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I think I would leave everything alone right now. The extra fish will give the jewel pair something to focus on instead of each other. It will also strengthen the bond between the pair. It might get a little dicey for the other fish after the eggs hatch. Hope there are plenty of hiding places. BTW, if you get the salvini to spawn, I want some babies. I have not seen that fish in the club in a long time.

Dasher
08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
You got it Ron!

I have a 10 set up for the fry, I'm gonna start up my BBS hatchery tonight - gotta drink 2 liters of Coke tonight!

D.

Dasher
08-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Went down this morning and no sign at all of the eggs or fry. I guess there was a late-night buffet. IF they spawn again I might consider moving the eggs to another (empty) tank.

*Oh well...*

D.