PDA

View Full Version : Red Flint pool filter/aquarium sand source around atlanta?

keithy
08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi forum members,
I have searched high and low for specific pool filter sand brand named "red flint" and could not find any around atlanta area. I even emailed their customer care but did not get any reply.
Here is the link to the pics of the sand.
http://www.redflint.com/pool_filtration_sand.htm

As can be seen the color of the sand is very natural and I really liked how it looks.

Anybody have a source for this sand that you could kindly share it with me? I thank you in advance.

djramsey
08-07-2014, 04:27 PM
check out this site http://www.luxurylandscape.com/sand-gravel.htm Out in Lawrenceville, GA scroll down to the alabama sand. Should be pretty close.

Mog Carns
08-07-2014, 04:38 PM
John Prock
Sales and Marketing Manager
Phone: 800.238.9139
sales@redflint.com

I would start there.

They list the GA Aquarium as a customer.

If it is the reddish stuff in the River Scout tanks, it is very pretty.

education@georgiaaquarium.org may have a local supplier.

keithy
08-08-2014, 09:42 AM
djramsey: I don't see alabama sand from the link. Did you meant to say Alabama path?

Mog Crans: sales@redflint.com I have sent email to John Prock about 1 month ago and I did not get any reply from him. Regarding the other email address, I am not sure which tank GA aquarium have it in so I guess am at a lost how best to describe the sand to them? any pointers would be appreciated.

djramsey
08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
alabama path, not sand. I really can not remember the name of anything more than a few seconds. I am going to try and get by this landscape place tomorrow morning. I need a couple of buckets of rocks for the cichlid tanks. I want to look at that alabama path stuff myself. I know when I am up north (Michigan area) that all tanks have this incredible natural looking sand/gravel. It is what they get when they buy a bag of sand at the Ace Hardware stores. I always fly up there. Just too far to drive. But I would love to fill the back of the truck with the stuff.

keithy
08-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I would love to go there but I am about 1 hr drive away from that place..... unfortunately. while you're there, would you be kind enough to grab some samples(to take pics) to confirm that they look similar? If they are, I don't mind driving there to get a bucket or two from the landscaping place.
I tell you, ppl up north are blessed with beautiful aquarium sand. Even common sand they can find there looks great in their tanks.

djramsey
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I was at Luxury Landscape at 7:30am Saturday, waiting for the 8:00am opening. Steady stream of commercial landscape trucks coming by. They never opened! My wife called and the voice message said closed this Saturday. No explanation why. I have tried for months to get there first thing on Saturday morning, and the one day I do they don't open. some days you just can not win. I could see the loose piles of rocks that are priced by the 5 gallon bucket. I could see them! My new Africans could smell them. Well I will try again next weekend.

keithy
08-10-2014, 05:12 PM
I think that was because of me. I never had any good luck when it comes to buying fish stuff, and by me piggy backing you to look at the sand means you are indirectly affected by my luck.... :) maybe next time. Thanks for your help.

keithy
08-18-2014, 08:33 PM
education@georgiaaquarium.org may have a local supplier.

I have emailed them last week and so far, not getting any reply........

Mog Carns
08-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Maybe they REALLY don't want to sell you any sand!
=D

djramsey
08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Finally made it again to Luxury Landscape. The alabama path looks great, but it appears to be crushings of some kind of very light slate. Very light, not even sure it would sink. Very disappointing because it looks great. I did get 2 buckets of rocks. One of round river rock and one of pieces of flat sandstone or slate. Best part? I got to pick all of it out, cost was .14 a lb. So I left with 60+lbs of great rocks for less than $9.I have had them soaking in a tub outside. Dirty, but no chemical scum on the water surface. Should be great in my couple of African tanks.

keithy
08-19-2014, 05:24 PM
great to hear that you got your rocks that you wanted for your african tanks. I guess there's just not much people in this forum/section that is using red flint sand or its lookalike. I will keep searching since I am not in a hurry to set my tank up anyways. Hopefully someone will shed some light on where to get these before I finally set my tank back up. Thanks djramsey for keeping me updated with your observation of the alabama path sand.

keithy
08-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Hahaha.... maybe you're right about them REALLY not wanting to sell me any sand. .......... very painful and depressed feeling...... darn...