PDA

View Full Version : Subwasstertang

Igster
08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
I have about half of my planted 55 "carpeted" with subwasstertang, basically just resting on the gravel...I'd like to be able to vacuum up the crud accumulation underneath it but of course since this stuff is not really attached to anything it would get sucked up along with the crud when I deploy the gravel-vac. Suggestions? Maybe scoop it out with a net (that will certainly stir up a storm!), or simply bite the dust and suck it all out?

Mark V

HN1
08-11-2014, 05:10 PM
My honest advice would be to live with it for a month and bring a few big bags of it to the auction. It always seems to bring decent prices IME.

kwseiders
08-12-2014, 08:39 AM
First, turn the suction on the gravel-vac to low. Believe it or not, the crud is lighter than the subwassertang. Then, gently, either lift the 'tang with the edge of the gravel-vac and vacuum underneath it (much like when you vacuum the accumulation of dirt you have been sweeping under the throw rug), or, using a spatula (and if you don't have one that fits, get a plastic one and cut off the handle) lift large portions of the 'tang and vacuum underneath it a section at a time. Remember to turn the gravel-vac to low! And yes, it takes time. And yes, it is a pain in the crud. But here's the bad news, if you do this once a week, it is easy!