PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Sexing Buffalo Heads

cswain123
08-15-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a male (3rd pic) and female (1&2 pic) but just want to get an opinion from people that have had them before. I know they are supposed to be in the realm of convicts when it comes to breeding but mine (granted they are m&f) just seem uninterested. The male is quite large so I believe they are at spawning age. The female is smaller and has yet to look fat with eggs. Maybe I'm just impatient. I read that a power head causing more flow can trigger them and I tried it but no success. They also had separate caves so I took the female's away thinking she would be more likely to cozy up to the male. My plan right now is to put the female in a separate tank for a week or two and see if she'll fatten up then reintroduce them. Any thoughts and advice are welcomed!

ronv
08-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Not as easy to breed as convicts. I find them to do better in a community setting. In a species only tank they tend to hide a lot. I have had trouble with them in the past. I currently have a breeding pair in my 6' long 120 gal tank ( a west African community with five species of westies ). Sex is difficult to determine. Males get larger with longer fins but that is not a sure thing until they get close to full grown.

cswain123
08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Right now they are in a tank with a school of cory cats and a trio of swordtails. The female is such a bully with the cory cats sometimes. Neither her or the male bother the swords though. I think the suspected female is probably too young to breed yet. She hovers above the male's cave sometimes and sits on it but no real action between them. I have a 75g setup ready for some inhabitants. Maybe I'll move these two and some kribs in there.

bolivianbaby
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
I put a bunch of juveniles in a 55g tank with river rock, plenty of hiding places, and plants with no other tankmates and they bred within a year.

I think different setups work for different fish, even within the same species.

Cories are notorious egg-eaters, in my experience and I keep them out of any tank I am breeding in.

Hope this helps.

cswain123
09-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks. I actually just moved them both to a 75g I was trying to keep empty til the auction. They're in there alone now. The female was literally destroying my female swordtails. They were on the verge of death so I had to move them.