PDA

View Full Version : can't trade in cichlids to save my life here in Americus.... C. afra, P. demasoni,etc

Tom Lorenz
09-11-2014, 03:55 PM
3384 Any advice? Also have phillipine blue angelfish, moscow green guppies, hap ahli electric blues... but no one can take these! I'm in aquarium store hell!

hsd
09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
The club's fall auction is on September 21, put your excess fish into the auction and buy some new fish. Or post up in the for sale section, can probably find someone that will take them or do a trade.

schillbw
09-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Can you post pictures of guppies? I'd be interested in buying some

Demonfish
09-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I'ts not just you, Atlanta is not much better. I once called every store in the phone book just to clear out 50 Kenyi. Angels will sell here, but not much in the way of Africans. The local store are going primarily salt and the chains get their mixed Africans for less than it takes us to feed them to that size. Add in GA's "pet fish" laws. (If it has more than 1 litter per year, the seller needs a license!) and most places will only give you store credit. There are club auctions, club meetings (post for sale 1 week before the meeting and delver if you have takers) and aquabid.com if you ship and craigslist if you don't (but selling any animal can get you flagged). Or you could take a road trip up north where the water is hard and the cichlids are still popular. http://www.ohiocichlid.com/Extravaganza.html

Tom Lorenz
09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Good feedback, it just feels good to connect with actual aquarists, it's so bad here. But that is the trend here as well, lots of salt and fresh is weak, maybe LFS giving up in the face of PetSmart.

Yeah, hard to compete with neighboring Florida's fish farms even if there was a demand. I did call around southern Atlanta and saw very little, so maybe it's a Georgia thing. New Orleans had an amazing store that spoiled me for 15 years before I moved here.

The auction idea is cool if I can swing it. I used to ship fish when I had the "true" green terrors breeding, but that stuff stresses me out.

I'll try to get a good guppy photo, but they're typical moscow greens. Most are young males so you'd have to grow them a bit more to get the really large tails (but if you're like me, you don't like buying old guppies anyway). Some are mutating to purple moscows, which is cool and annoying at the same time!

Thanks for feedback, glad to know you guys are out there.