PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Goal Met! Salvini Fry!

bolivianbaby
09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
I have been trying to breed ex-cichlasoma salvini for 5 years! Have had a bear of a time getting them to pair off since the males can be jerks!

Came home from work, turned on the tank lights, and my pair has bred! We have free-swimmers!

mountainman36
09-22-2014, 08:00 PM
NICE!!! congrats. a great feeling to have surprise fry.

kwseiders
09-22-2014, 08:02 PM
See, when you come to an AAAA event, good things happen!

ronv
09-22-2014, 08:36 PM
I would be interested in fry when they are big enough. That is a really nice fish that I have not seen in the club in years.

bolivianbaby
09-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks all!

Ron-if I can raise these fry up, I will gladly share with you!

The female is keeping the male away from the fry. Gonna see what kind of parents they are, and if they take care of them, I'll pull the fry out when the pair shows signs of spawning again.

ronv
09-24-2014, 09:31 AM
If you want to save fry, it might be better to pull at least some of the babies now. I usually syphon them out as soon as they are free swimming. The babies stay close together and are easy to collect. As they grow older they tend to wander and become more spread out. It would be good to leave some of the babies with the parents, however. This will give them "practice" at being parents and should make them better at it next time. The babies left with the parents should be considered expendable. Good luck.

Dasher
09-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Congrats! I have a trio of Salvini in a 55 right now, with 2 Jewels as well. The Salvini male seems to have settled down as well, but I think they may still be too young to pair up.

Nice color and pretty fish - congrats again on your spawn!

Dan

bolivianbaby
09-24-2014, 05:55 PM
If you want to save fry, it might be better to pull at least some of the babies now. I usually syphon them out as soon as they are free swimming. The babies stay close together and are easy to collect. As they grow older they tend to wander and become more spread out. It would be good to leave some of the babies with the parents, however. This will give them "practice" at being parents and should make them better at it next time. The babies left with the parents should be considered expendable. Good luck.

It's been a couple years since I've successfully raised fry away from the parents. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

If I would've known they were there, I would've brought you some Sunday since you have a much better track record than I do.

Thanks Dasher :)

Demonfish
09-24-2014, 06:23 PM
microworms or other small food squirted into the free-swimming cloud with a turkey baster seems to help survival rates, esp. in a large tank.

HN1
09-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Pull fry and feed BBS or similar sized food. Feed and change often.

bolivianbaby
09-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I pulled around 30ish. Have them in a baby tank with a sponge filter. Left the rest with mom. If she's good, it'll make things easier with future spawns.

My fingers are crossed. It's been a while since I've done this successfully.