PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen tank

Pierre
09-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I am looking to get a small oxygen tank to bag my fish and would like to know where you can get one and what would you recommend.

Thank you,

Pierre

cswain123
09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Check welding supply stores

Demonfish
09-23-2014, 03:50 PM
http://www.smithwelding.com/index.php in cumming has a store with all the tanks, regulators and fittings. A bit expensive to start up, but cheap to refill.

Larry Bugg
09-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Yup, check out a welding store near you. I got mine at smith in Cumming - linked above. I bought the regulator from a club member but Ebay is the best place to find one. New in a store would be very expensive. I just got a 5 lb tank and it last a long time before I have to go back to the welding store to have it refilled.

peathenster
09-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I have several medical tanks that can be filled with prescription. If you know anyone......;)

caricell
09-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Why not save a bunch of money, time and energy and use an air pump with a valve/hose at the end? I use one of my spare manifolds to fill my bags with air, and it works well.

Larry

Larry Bugg
09-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Why not save a bunch of money, time and energy and use an air pump with a valve/hose at the end? I use one of my spare manifolds to fill my bags with air, and it works well.

Larry

There are circumstance when oxygen vs air makes a really big difference. I bag my fish Saturday night. Using oxygen insures that they are still in great shape after being in the bag for 24 hours. When I got home Sunday night and opened one of the bags I purchased the stench was awful and there was one tetra alive in the bag. Oxygen would have made a difference in this case. I brought a proven pair of Severum. Using oxygen enabled me to bag them with plenty of water in a 12" bag and keep them in good condition all day long. While everyone certainly doesn't need to go out and get an oxygen tank it does make sense for some of us.

Pierre
09-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Thank you for your replies. I found a complete system (portable oxygen tank E - 680 liters full) for $50 on Craigslist.

Demonfish
09-24-2014, 02:30 PM
I also have medical tank that needs a prescription to fill. The regular is busted enough that it won't pass inspection for humans, but it works fine for fish. If someone lives in a less regulated state, I would give it them at a meeting.