PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Equipment

Erbskorn
09-25-2014, 12:23 PM
I purchased a CO2 unit for my 210 planted tank. I have it set according to the suggested saturation rate on the packaging. I also purchased a CO2 saturation gauge that is filled with a blue indicator liquid that is placed inside the tank. It is supposed to turn green when the the CO2 levels are correct. After two days of CO2 injection the liquid is still the same color blue as it was coming out of the bottle. Does it take days for the tank to become saturated with enough CO2 or is the a kind of gimmick thing that doesn't work well. How do I know when I have enough CO2 in the tank for my plants?

caricell
09-25-2014, 03:16 PM
It's going to take some time to get a 210 gal. tank to optimum CO2.

1) What kind of bubble counter are you using, and how many bubbles/ sec are you introducing into the tank?
2) Have you stopped or at least minimized any surface gas exchanges, such as from airstones, major surface agitation from filter outputs, etc. ? Is the tank covered and what kind of lighting are you using?
3) Who is the Co2 indicator made by?>
4) HOW are you distributing the CO2? Big bubbles?> Through a diffuser?
larry

I purchased a CO2 unit for my 210 planted tank. I have it set according to the suggested saturation rate on the packaging. I also purchased a CO2 saturation gauge that is filled with a blue indicator liquid that is placed inside the tank. It is supposed to turn green when the the CO2 levels are correct. After two days of CO2 injection the liquid is still the same color blue as it was coming out of the bottle. Does it take days for the tank to become saturated with enough CO2 or is the a kind of gimmick thing that doesn't work well. How do I know when I have enough CO2 in the tank for my plants?

byork
09-25-2014, 04:06 PM
I think a picture of the CO2 system would help. From the cylinder to the delivery method/apparatus (reactor hopefully).

Water parameters like gH and kH?

And the delivery setting wether bubble counter or metering valve setting.

The answer to your question is no. It shouldn't take that long. I have a 150 gallon system that is CO2 injected and my saturation is optimal 2 hours after the solenoid is turned on. My co2 turns on an hour before my lights and turns off just before they do. My lights are on for two 4 hour periods per day.

It could happen faster if I opened the metering valve more but that could be bad later in the day.

Erbskorn
09-25-2014, 10:19 PM
It's going to take some time to get a 210 gal. tank to optimum CO2.

1) What kind of bubble counter are you using, and how many bubbles/ sec are you introducing into the tank?
2) Have you stopped or at least minimized any surface gas exchanges, such as from airstones, major surface agitation from filter outputs, etc. ? Is the tank covered and what kind of lighting are you using?
3) Who is the Co2 indicator made by?>
4) HOW are you distributing the CO2? Big bubbles?> Through a diffuser?
larry

Pics of the unit and the indicator I purchased are included in this reply. Lighting -- AquaticLife 72" T5 HO 8 Lamp Freshwater Fixture w/ Lunar Lights -- FOUR 39 watt 6500K T5 HO lamps, FOUR 39 watt 650nm T5 HO Lamps and SIX 1W Lunar lights . I have the surface agitation to a minimum, no air stones and the output nozzles are set below the water line by about an inch. I have the bubble counter set according to the manufacturers suggestion of one bubble per second and it is diffused through a ceramic disc. There is a fine stream of CO2 being delivered into my tank, however the indicator solution is still the same color as when I put it in almost 3 days ago now. Did I buy a crappy unit? Hope not.

caricell
09-26-2014, 07:00 AM
You did not buy a crappy unit. In fact, I have a few of the ISTA setups, with the same Co2 checker as you and ceramic disk diffuser. They are very reliable units, especially the regulator that comes with that kit.

My recommendation: Get a powerhead, like a maxijet 400 or 600, and place it right above the diffuser output. This will better disperse the CO2 throughout your large tank. Also, increase the output to 2 bubbles per second until the bubble checker starts coming off the blue color.

Pics of the unit and the indicator I purchased are included in this reply. Lighting -- AquaticLife 72" T5 HO 8 Lamp Freshwater Fixture w/ Lunar Lights -- FOUR 39 watt 6500K T5 HO lamps, FOUR 39 watt 650nm T5 HO Lamps and SIX 1W Lunar lights . I have the surface agitation to a minimum, no air stones and the output nozzles are set below the water line by about an inch. I have the bubble counter set according to the manufacturers suggestion of one bubble per second and it is diffused through a ceramic disc. There is a fine stream of CO2 being delivered into my tank, however the indicator solution is still the same color as when I put it in almost 3 days ago now. Did I buy a crappy unit? Hope not.

aXio
09-26-2014, 02:41 PM
I complete agree with Larry. 1 bubble a second is definitely going to be too low for your size tank. You will probably be between 2-4 bubbles a second. And the power head idea is a very good one that you should see really good results with. I doubt the co2 is getting across the entire tank with that large of a tank. For this reason it is good to have the diffuser and "drop checker" on opposite ends of the tank so that you can be sure it's getting co2 through the whole tank. They also make lots of different "inline" diffusers which are hooked up to a canister filter. I personally feel like the inline diffusers work much better at getting the co2 through out the whole tank. I have 2 of those exact units at home, they work awesome for me and I love them.

byork
09-26-2014, 05:34 PM
You could try putting the diffuser in a jar with the powerhead blowing directly into the jar to get a better reaction or buy a cheap ISTA Reactor.

Erbskorn
09-29-2014, 11:17 PM
I have tried everyone's suggestions to no avail. I have even tried splitting the CO2 line to both sides of the tank and I have tried putting the diffuser into the sump so the output spreads the CO2 evenly throughout the tank. NOTHING has worked. Does the CO2 indicator liquid go bad or out of date? My plants look great. They have all turned darker green and are growing well so something is happening correctly. I just can't figure this out.

kwseiders
09-30-2014, 06:14 AM
I was told the kH of the water used for the drop checker has to be 4.0 for the drop checker to work correctly. I don't know if that is true, but I use water with a kH of 4.0, and my drop checker works. FWIW.

caricell
09-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Increase the bubble output./

I have tried everyone's suggestions to no avail. I have even tried splitting the CO2 line to both sides of the tank and I have tried putting the diffuser into the sump so the output spreads the CO2 evenly throughout the tank. NOTHING has worked. Does the CO2 indicator liquid go bad or out of date? My plants look great. They have all turned darker green and are growing well so something is happening correctly. I just can't figure this out.

mountainman36
09-30-2014, 06:45 AM
the proof is in the plant growth. ive found over the years that the things we use to measure sometimes trump our common sense. If your plants are looking good, and you have some bubbles coming off of them, im sure its fine. I had some sort of co2 checker thing too, it never worked for me either, but the plants certainly were fine.

i will say this, i had better results when the co2 was getting smashed by an impeller (mine was via the fluval filter) than when they went on a bubble ramp thing. So the powerhead thing may be a better solution

Erbskorn
09-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Well that is what I was thinking by the way the plants look but I would like for my equipment to function the way it was intended. The plants seem to be doing fine but i'm on the hunt for a CO2 reactor now.

caricell
09-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Just get a maxijet powerhead for $20 and either put it above the diffuser output, or remove the diffuser altogether and put the CO2 tubing directly into the bottom of the powerhead intake funnel. Also, try changing out the blue liquid in you drop checker.

Well that is what I was thinking by the way the plants look but I would like for my equipment to function the way it was intended. The plants seem to be doing fine but i'm on the hunt for a CO2 reactor now.