PDA

View Full Version : Tropheus Tank - Thinking about it

jimfur80
10-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I am thinking about setting up a 90 gallon tropheus tank, I have other Tang Lake tanks but never did the tropheus. Any thoughts or insider info on them I should know, I am gonna do a large school of them maybe 15-20 ( I have been told to fill the tank for the aggression issues). Let me know if you have any thoughts, tank is running doing a switch over plenty of filtration is already on it.

Thanks
Jim

oxheart
10-05-2014, 02:13 PM
I am thinking about setting up a 90 gallon tropheus tank, I have other Tang Lake tanks but never did the tropheus. Any thoughts or insider info on them I should know, I am gonna do a large school of them maybe 15-20 ( I have been told to fill the tank for the aggression issues). Let me know if you have any thoughts, tank is running doing a switch over plenty of filtration is already on it.

Thanks
Jim

Best info I can give you is , go to trophs.com there are so many schools of thought on keeping tropheus . I think it best for one to sort thru the info and decide for yourself which one you want to use.
Rick
one or two suggestions I will make is on your 1st endeavor go with f1 not wild . Try a strain that is easier . The blacks come to mind , bemba , ikola ,red rainbow, etc.

Demonfish
10-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Large schools, veggie food (they are prone to "bloat"), very hard, alkaline water. If you have Lake water like most of us around here, you will need to add buffer & salt.

jimfur80
10-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the insite!!! I will keep you all postedon what I do.

jim

peathenster
10-06-2014, 08:13 PM
You need a bigger tank, like 300g ;)

Sthomas
10-25-2014, 08:47 AM
I keep 20 tropheus in a 55 gallon no problem, I do like a 75 to 100 better though. No need to go crazy with 300 gallons for just 20 fish as they don't get that big. Best to keep the water parameters stable with frequent changes. Add salt with every water change and buffer only if you can keep ph stable otherwise I have done fine with just salt. dont feed meaty or live foods- nls pellets are good staple food.

peathenster
10-25-2014, 09:27 AM
No need to go crazy with 300 gallons for just 20 fish as they don't get that big.

I just want him to buy my 300 ;)