PDA

View Full Version : :s Sick Platys?

Cole Cross
10-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I put my homemade shrimp cave into my tank yesterday. Today my platys werent doing so well. The preggo ones were both floating near the top of the water and occasionally taking sips of air. I read somewhere that it might be amonia posioning from the silicone I used. I quickly removed it to stop any further damage.

I did a quick 50% water change and they seem a lot more livelier and not motionless at the waterline.

Is there anything else I should do to the water to make sure they get back to normal health?

hsd
10-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Keep up with the water changes, to dilute whatever is left in the tank. May want to look at silicone that was used. Have to avoid the ones with the anti mold chemicals.

Demonfish
10-11-2014, 12:40 AM
check the pH. Many sealants release acid as they cure. Always wait until they is no scent before using anything in a tank

Pierre
10-11-2014, 09:52 AM
I had the same issue when I got GE 100% silicon II. THe next day. the fish where drowsy. Massive water change AND removing of the cave, will help. The silicon that works I got it at Grainger and is called RTV Silicon. Let it cure at least 24 hours before using. I did two 80% WC within 2 hours. You should see improvements in their behavior almost right away.

Cole Cross
10-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I had the same issue when I got GE 100% silicon II. THe next day. the fish where drowsy. Massive water change AND removing of the cave, will help. The silicon that works I got it at Grainger and is called RTV Silicon. Let it cure at least 24 hours before using. I did two 80% WC within 2 hours. You should see improvements in their behavior almost right away.

Thanks for the info. I did a 50% change yesterday and they seem to be a lot better. One odd thing though, my pest snails from petsmart are now dying. Any ideas?

Demonfish
10-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Inverts are sensitive to metals, even small amounts of copper are bad. Again, the answer is more water changes. Dead snails will give you an ammonia spike for sure. Use a 'detoxifies heavy metals' (contains EDTA) water conditioner. Likely there was some additive in your sealant and you should toss the cave and try again with a different brand.

Cole Cross
10-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Thats what I had in mind about the cave. Have any suggestions on some good aquarium safe silicon? I dont need it to be exceptionally strong, just to hold small rocks on pvc pipe.

ronv
10-12-2014, 01:45 AM
GE silicone 1. It has a blue label is the standard. Home Depot/ lowes should have it. I have used it for years.

Cole Cross
10-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Update: I bought a test kit from petsmart, the $27 one that test all different stuff. Everything came back normal. The ammonia, nitrates, ph, etc. were all acceptable. After seeing this I got to thinking that maybe theres not enough oxygen being introduced into the water. I originally had a 10g filter on this tank, which is 30g. I went and bought a 30-60g filter and put it on. Its pumping some serious water now. After a few hours I've noticed a big change in my platys behavior. I think it was low O2 levels that were making them sluggish. Maybe not, but Im glad theyre all better.

As for my pest snails all dying, Im at a loss as to why this happened. I introduced some MTS to my tank and they're doing quite well. Stuff happens I guess :s

gloriousbettas
10-14-2014, 11:20 AM
So glad your fish are better. I've found having a good Water Test Kit is valuable in the aquarium hobby. At least it is in my fish room. Glad you were able to install a bigger filter and your fish are enjoying the change.

Kendra

Cole Cross
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM
So glad your fish are better. I've found having a good Water Test Kit is valuable in the aquarium hobby. At least it is in my fish room. Glad you were able to install a bigger filter and your fish are enjoying the change.

Kendra

I agree. It was weighing on my conscience quite a bit on what it could be and how I could fix it. I cant believe how much happier they are now! Its amazing :)