PDA

View Full Version : new cichlids tank!

jmorris88
10-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Hello everyone!

My friend turned me on to this site and said i can get some great info, so... here it goes. I have a 55 gallon take set up and ready for fish. cycled and everything. i want some african cichlids and would like some insight about them since ive never kept a strictly africans cichlid tank before. history about me and tanks.. ive had a couple small ten gallons way in the past got bored and so i got two 30 gallon tanks and kept mainly angels and a couple different cichlids. (one tank for the angels, one for the few cichlids i had at the time.... jack dempsey and firemouths.) ive also kept craw fish in with the angels, plecos, and sometimes a snail here and there. ive had tanks for about a total of 4-5 years. now that i finally have a tank bigger then 30 gallons i want some african cichlids... any advice, specific kinds to stay away from, some to def try out, and are crawfish safe in the tank if i get enough fish in the tank? hope to hear from yall soon!

Thanks, Jeff

ACC in NC
10-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Do you know if you want Riverine Cichlids from West Africa or Lake Cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, Lake Malawi, and Lake Victoria? Most of the colorful ones come from Lake Malawi which consists of mostly Haps and Mbuna. Some of the Haps get rather large for a 55 but the Mbuna would be the way to go.

I’m copying a list of my favorite Mbuna below with aggression levels.

Mbuna means “rock fish” or “rock dweller”

They’re harem polygamist and should be stocked with 3 females per 1 male. They’re also all maternal mouthbreeders.

Labidochromis caeruleus “Lions Cove Yellow” (Mildly Aggressive)

Labidochromis caeruleus “Nkhata Bay White” (Mildly Aggressive)

Labidochromis sp. "Hongi Red Top” (Aggressive)

Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" (Highly Aggressive)

Metriaclima estherae “Red Zebra” (Aggressive)

Metriaclima sp. "Membe Deep" (Aggressive)

Metriaclima sp. "Msobo Deep” (Aggressive)

Pseudotropheus demasoni “Pombo Rocks” (Highly Aggressive)

Pseudotropheus saulosi (Aggressive)

Pseudotropheus socolofi (Mildly Aggressive)

The three I have listed as mildly aggressive are great fish to start with!

Proper pH would be in the 7.5 to 8.8 range and the temperature should be 76-79 degrees F.

jmorris88
10-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks man I'll definitely look into these. Thanks for the info!

jmorris88
10-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info man! i think i ended up getting some from Lake Malawi though due to what was available at my local store. still not sure exactly what the names of all of them are though. if i can figure out how to post a video or pics on here ill do so when i get home if you or someone else can help my figure out which ones are which.