PDA

View Full Version : SAE Info Needed

Garfieldnfish
10-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I have not been able to find any info on SAEs breeding. I have had SAEs for years and was under the impression that they do not breed in an aquarium. Over the last 12 years I have lost most of them and was down to just 2 in two separate tanks. Knowing they are social fish, I decided to put them together in my 75 gal. Once I added the SAE from my 55 gal, both were immediately hanging out together. 2 days later I saw them going up and down the back of the tank and it looked like they were trying to wrap themselves around each other, like snakes. I have no clue what this means and if they could have been just playing. A week later nothing more happened, but I saw my CAE harassing the SAE that I recently added to the tank and the SAE appeared to have some cuts along it's back side. I decided to take this SAE and return him/her to it's original tank as I was not sure if fighting with the CAE or the other SAE caused the cuts. The SAE I added to the 75 gal tank had a grey patch behind the gills. My other SAE does not have that. I wonder if that is a mark identifying SAE sex. Any info to shed light on this would be great.

Larry Bugg
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Everything I have ever read about them says they have not been bred in aquariums.