PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide as Algeacide

Erbskorn
10-17-2014, 01:24 AM
I recently saw a YouTube video showing the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle to spot treat Algae on plants and glass, rocks, and other decorations inside a filled tank. The person who made the video says this is his "secret weapon" against Algae. I'm curious to know if anyone has used this method for spot treating Algae and what your results have been. This seems like a pretty easy application and just might be something worth trying. Please post your experiences. Thanks.

Igster
10-17-2014, 06:44 AM
HP is a well-documented method of spot controlling BBA, but it doesn't work on other kinds of pesky algae. As has been said many times - the best control is to control the environment; out-of-control algae is a sign of excessive nutrients and/or excessive light(on too long, too much sunlight if by a window, or the wrong wavelength).

I've used HP to get rid of BBA that was growing on a piece of driftwood and my filter intake tube by spritzing it directly on the surfaces during a water change. The stuff turned bright pink, then white, then just disintegrated over a few days. You can also turn off the filters and any circulation pumps, and use a syringe to "inject" or squirt the stuff on the targeted areas while they are submerged.

RLHam3
10-17-2014, 08:19 AM
I've used the syringe method with success in the past. But then I found my secret weapons: nerite snails. They even eat beard algae

Larry Bugg
10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
It works on BBA. Use a syringe and spot treat. Same thing with Seachem's Excel. It isn't just light and nutrients but a big factor is Co2 (or lack of). No algae comes from a balance of light nutrients and Co2. If you are off on one then you open the door for opportunistic algae. Too much light is usually the problem because it isn't balanced out with enough nutrients and C02. We have a tendency to put our lights high because we want to see that lush green growth and grow plants that only grow under the high light. Just doesn't work with out the nutrients and Co2.

hplowe
02-17-2015, 07:44 AM
I think I have BBA that snuck in on some Anubus I got :yucky:. I heard Liquid Co2 (like API Co2 Booster) can be used to spot treat.

I like Nerite snails by the thought of all those sterile eggs everywhere does not appeal to me.