PDA

View Full Version : New 20 Gallon Planted Tank

awflip
10-18-2014, 01:37 PM
I set up this tank on Tuesday, so 4 days ago. Yesterday I got my Beamswork Hi-Lumen 120 LED Fixture (88 x 10,000K white and 8 x 460nm blue actinic) and transferred all the plants I had growing in a 1 gal bowl to this. I also picked up a Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gourami from Optimum Aquarium and he is loving having this tank to himself. Other than him, there are just some Pond Snails. I am hoping for a population explosion because I plan on getting some assassin snails at some point.
I know these lights are way too powerful for a low-tech 20g, but I bought this fixture for a 55g I am planning so I don't have to buy another. I am planning on running the lights about 4-6 hrs a day at first, and see how the algae growth is and go from there,
Thanks for checking it out!

Edit: For some reason I can't upload a picture of the full tank, but here is an external link to a pic: http://i.imgur.com/5Jqfcav.jpg

caricell
10-18-2014, 05:52 PM
The Beamswork light is an excellent choice. My entire fishroom is equipped with Beamswork LED fixtures (about 17 tanks.) You should be able to grow most plants with that hi-lumen model, particularly if your tank isn't too deep. 6-8 hours a day will be fine.

larry

I set up this tank on Tuesday, so 4 days ago. Yesterday I got my Beamswork Hi-Lumen 120 LED Fixture (88 x 10,000K white and 8 x 10,000K blue actinic) and transferred all the plants I had growing in a 1 gal bowl to this. I also picked up a Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gourami from Optimum Aquarium and he is loving having this tank to himself. Other than him, there are just some Pond Snails. I am hoping for a population explosion because I plan on getting some assassin snails at some point.
I know these lights are way too powerful for a low-tech 20g, but I bought this fixture for a 55g I am planning so I don't have to buy another. I am planning on running the lights about 4-6 hrs a day at first, and see how the algae growth is and go from there,
Thanks for checking it out!

Edit: For some reason I can't upload a picture of the full tank, but here is an external link to a pic: http://i.imgur.com/5Jqfcav.jpg

awflip
10-19-2014, 04:52 PM
That is good to hear! I bought this fixture from ebay for $50 and I have seen much more plant growth than when they were in direct sunlight.
I have read that plants use blue actinic light for stem growth, just not as much as they use the rest of the color spectrum. Was it worth getting a fixture with some blue, or should I have gone with all white?

Larry Bugg
10-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Actinic bulbs are not generally used in planted tanks. Generally you are looking for something in the 6500 to 10K range.

awflip
10-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I understand actinic bulbs are not generally used, however I am not using actinic bulbs. I have a Beamswork Hi-Lumen 120 LED Light that has 88 x 10,000K white lights and 8 x 460nm actinic blue lights, so 96 total LED lights. My question is, should I have bought a 96 x 10,000K white light fixture instead? I am asking for future reference.

Larry Bugg
10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
8 x 460nm actinic blue lights

I'm confused. These are actinic bulbs right? and your question was whether or not you should have gotten them right? and in their place gotten 8 x 10K right?

My answer is still that actinic are not usually used in planted tanks. They don't have a lot of affect on plant growth. Normally 6700 to 10K is used because they produce light that plants benefit from the most. The actinic is not harmful to plants so it really boils down to how you like the look they give the tank.

awflip
10-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Okay, I understand now. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your reply.

jpayne
10-21-2014, 07:22 AM
I agree with Larry about the actinic blue in the LEDs. Generally if you are doing a planted setup you would want to get a LED fixture that has RGB instead of the actinic. As for the 10k compared to 6500k personally I would try to find something closer to the 6500k because when I use 10k T5 bulbs I tend to get a lot of brown algae which I don't mind since I only use it on my grow out tank. Also I usually run my lights for 10-12 hours a day I know some people run there lights for less time, but my tanks get zero light from the sun. This helps to simulate natural light cycles that plants and fish would be used to in the wild.