PDA

View Full Version : Random deaths

joa144567
10-22-2014, 08:45 AM
I have a 55g moderately planted tank with 3 juvie angels, 2 spotted catfish, a kuhli loach, clown Pleco, black neons, dwarf gourami, and some feeder guppies and ghost shrimp. I've noticed that every now and then I will loose one fish. I'm not sure if it's due to fighting ( which I believe is the cause) or water quality. I usually do a 25% water change and vacuum every weekend but I let it lax from time to time so my bottom feeders aren't hungry.

So far I have lost one female guppy that I know of( she died a few days after giving birth) on black neon, and I just lost a spotted catfish ( I noticed its mouth and gill area was very red to days ago, and witnessed the other one chasing it out of the cave.) The water is clear, none of the fish are acting weird or lethargic, and my seed shrimp population is active( i read they signify good water quality. Any truth to that) I'm about to go get the water tested in a little bit. Does anyone have any thoughts to what is happening with my fish?

Mog Carns
10-22-2014, 11:46 AM
It is virtually impossible to actually diagnose a tank over the internet. The best you can generally hope for is for people to help you disprove theories, or generate new ones.

However, you are going to need a lot of very clear and very specific answers to questions. Please forgive me if any of this sounds snarky or abrupt, that is not my intention.

55g moderately planted. What does moderate mean? Is it possible to post a recent picture?
Are the plants growing? Do they show signs of age, and dying leaves, or new growth?

What size angels?
What is a spotted catfish?

Every now and then, how long is that?

Is there a picture of the catfish when afflicted? (usually not)

How long has the tank been set up?
Are all of the fish added at the same time, or in batches?
When were each added?
When did the deaths start?
Do the deaths occur overnight, or during the day?

What is the temperature?
Is the tank cooling at night and then heating back up in the day?

Larry Bugg
10-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Agreed, it does require a lot of detailed info to make a diagnosis and the above questions would lead to it.

That said, the first place I always look with issues like this is water quality and quite often it is the cause. 20% once a week is a bare minimum and leaves no room to get lax. IMO you should be doing more along the lines of 50% weekly. There should be no coloration between cleaning the substrate and your bottom feeders being hungry. They should be eating food you give them just as the rest of the fish and a once a week wc should not affect this. This may not be the cause of the deaths but good clean water makes a big difference.

joa144567
10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Oh your good.

The deaths mostly occur over nite or late evening. The tank stays at a constant 77 degrees. All the plants are healthy and producing new leaves, I'll try and get a some pictures of all the fish in there.

They are actually called bumble bee catfish. They were both about the same size, the smaller of the two died, and no I already flushed him. The redness around its mouth was not present at its death as well.

And it all happened within the last three weeks. The tank has been set up for about 8weeks maybe. Not really sure how to size the take a picture of them as well

joa144567
10-22-2014, 12:22 PM

joa144567
10-22-2014, 12:28 PM
T351735183519 these might be better to show the size of the angels

ronv
10-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Hard to diagnosis, as others have said, but the first thing that struck me in your original post is "feeder guppies". From a chain pet shop feeder guppies are notorious for carrying disease or parasites.

joa144567
10-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Wow. Those will be gone tomorrow. Do guppies need a heater to survive

Garfieldnfish
10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Since the guppies have already been in the tank it makes no difference if you remove them now. If they had a disease and that caused your fish to die they have already spread it. You could add PraziPro for parasites to the entire tank. The tank may not be fully cycled yet. Do not skip your water changes. Bottom feeders will not eat detritus. Seed shrimp are a great live food for small fish but they are also a sign of overfeeding if there are a lot. A tank that is not fully cycled if combined with too much food could be a problem.

joa144567
10-23-2014, 01:04 AM
Ok...I'll go pick that up...how long should I treat them?
Thank you so much. I'll give u an update next week.

Garfieldnfish
10-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Prazi Pro is a one time dose and you can just leave it in and remove with normal water changes. The instructions are on the bottle.

joa144567
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
I didn't find the Prazi Pro but I got another medication that is said to treat for fungal, bacterial, viral and parasitic. So I'm hoping this will help. I do find it interesting that all the snails have moved above the water line since I put the medication in the tank

Demonfish
10-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Have the water tested. 8 weeks is in the range of new tank cycling nitrite spike.

byork
10-25-2014, 04:54 PM
What did you treat the tank with? Most broad spectrum meds are not plant or invertebrate safe. This kill your plants, snails, shrimp, and good bacteria which will cause a huge ammonia spike and since you posted this yesterday the ammonia level has likely already risen and started to raise your nitrite levels. I would consider using a bare bottom hospital tank for the fish if you are going to use broad spectrum meds and treat the main tank with something different, plant safe. Also, was the red around the mouth, at the gills, or nostrils, or a combination?

joa144567
10-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Marine land all-in-one remedy. The red was around the mouth...mostly underneath, not sure if it reached the gills.