PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone kept Pseudotropheus crabr?

djramsey
11-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Saw some at Petsmart yesterday. Nice looking yellow black stripe fish. Any one kept them? Bred them? 1(gets beat up) -10(Tank is just for one of me) on the meanness meter?

Garfieldnfish
11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Never had one, don't even know what they are but with a last name of crabr, sounds like an unfriendly fish, lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudotropheus_crabro

djramsey
11-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Just seems really odd that something common enough to turn up in Petsmart hasn't made the rounds of the club BAP warriors. Plus it is a nice looking fish.

Demonfish
11-10-2014, 02:07 PM
They are malawi mbuna, more aggressive than your labs, less so than Auratus. Your best bet is to breed them young in large groups (5+) before they get too big and mean. Its a rule of mine to never breed a fish that shows up in the "mixed African" petsmart tank. This means it is so cheap for the stores you won't be able to give them away. Fry are mass-produced and adults that have outgrown 10 gallon starter tanks are plentiful and free on CL.

This is also a fish that gets less attractive as well as more aggressive as it gets bigger, less yellow more brown.

jimfur80
11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Friend of mine was keeping these and yes cool when small, but nasty mean and almost black when large. The one he had killed every light colored male malawi he had over a 3 week period, did it at night. The terriorty on this as a larger fish must be large because he did not tolerate any males in the tank but he sure did like the ladies, now a few months later he has all these hybrid bumblebees in the tank, LOL!!!

Jim

BobMajor
11-24-2014, 12:35 PM
I had these years ago the species is crabro