PDA

View Full Version : 8.2 PH in Discus Tank

Erbskorn
11-15-2014, 08:17 PM
My Discus tanks PH has spiked to 8.2. PH out of the tap is 7.2 and stays that way in the water change aging container. Nothing in the tank has changed either adding or taking away. Any ideas how this could happen? I know sea shells with raise the PH in aquarium water. I have a lot of Nerite Snails. Can the livings snail shells cause a spike in the PH?

Igster
11-15-2014, 09:13 PM
What is the substrate? What kind of decorations or rocks, if any?

Erbskorn
11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
substrate is a mix of flourite, laterite and Eco Complete. I only have plants and some big pieces of driftwood in the tank. I don't have anything that I know of in the tank that would cause a PH change like this. Usually over time the PH should drop some due to the driftwood being in the tank correct?

Roger
11-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Did you take a measurement with your hardness GH/KH test kit? Is the tank planted? Do you use CO2, ferts. pH does not say much unless it is very very low >5.9. When was your last water change? What fish food do you use? What fish are present? How many?

Roger
11-15-2014, 10:49 PM
What brand/type of flourite, laterite did you use? Black onyx sand?

Demonfish
11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
What water conditioner? Any ingredient that "add alkalinity"? Are you giving the snail any calcium? Yes, our water usually gets more acid with time. Only if you are topping off evaporation with hard water does it go up. Yes, live snail's shells can slowly dissolve and increase pH, but it seems like a bit much of a spike for that. Also test your pH test.

Erbskorn
11-16-2014, 03:03 PM
The substrate I used is by SeaChem. I haven't used any additives that would increase the alkalinity of the water. I dose with the Flourish brand of plant ferts. I am late with my water change, but I did an almost complete water change today so we will see what the PH does. I am running CO2 and it has run out for about a week. I know that the PH will drop with the use of CO2 but my water out of the tap is 7.2. My aged and stable water stays 7.2 and my other tanks that have the same substate, water change regimen, fert regimen and no CO2 all have a stable PH of 7.2. The tank was new so that negates the idea of a used saltwater tank making the PH spike. By all accounts getting behind on my water changes with as much driftwood as I have in my tank the PH should be going down. I did check my PH with another test and those were consistent with one another.

Roger
11-16-2014, 08:53 PM
pH will fluctuate with CO2 and ferts can cause lots of things to happen depending on what chemicals are present and added. All kinds of things are happening. Like phosphate and iron percipitating, which can alter the pH. Read the labels add in CO2 and do the chemistry
Seachem makes 3 versions of substrate, Fluorite, Onyx, Aragonite. Only one will have little buffering effect.
Also the light you use can play a role in what elements the plants are uptaking as well as the elements you do not have enough of, like low magnesium can effect iron uptake.
Get a hardness test kit and see if you have calcium or magnesium hardness that may be buffering the pH.