PDA

View Full Version : Possible dropsy

brandon357
11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Hello I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the hobby. Today as I was getting ready for work today I noticed that one of my angelfish seemed like his stomach was bloated. I did a quick search and read that he could either be blocked up or dropsy. How can I figure out which one it is? I currently have a tank that I have been setting up for a breeder tank because two of my angels have recently paired. I only had time to plug the heater in, test the water and get the ph where it needed to be before I had to leave for work. What I was thinking is I was going to move the sick angel to the breeder tank when I get home from work in the morning and use it as a hospital tank until he gets back to normal. What are some tips that y'all can give me?

I will try to get a better picture but this is all I could get before leaving.

Demonfish
11-16-2014, 09:14 PM
You can try raising the salt level in the hospital tank or epsom salts. Cichlids are very salt-tolerant and more ions in the water can sometimes reduce swelling. If you think it was gut related, you can try feeding chopped, cooked, skinned peas or spirulina flake to act as a laxative or a medicated flake to kill bacteria in the gut. I have had bad luck with sick angels, when they get sick they tend to stop eating and fade in week or two.

Only be super careful and slow when you take the salt back out before you put the fish back.