AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Atlanta pH and fishless cycling

Atlanta pH and fishless cycling

Hello!

My name is Erik. I just signed up for the AAAA on paypal yesterday and am very excited. My passion as far as aquariums go are fancy guppies. I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years and am just starting to get set up again.

I started my 50 gal display tank up with a couple small plants and 7 corys. It's cycling nicly and the corys seem to be handeling it.

When I was in the hobby before I was in California so I am going to have to learn how to deal with Atlanta water. CA water was very hard and held pH nicely at around 7. I haven't tested the hardness here but the water in Decatur seems pretty soft and my pH is at 6! Is that pretty standard for this area?

Second question: Does anyone know if it would work to do a fishless cycle in another tank using the water I remove from my big tank when I am doing water changes? If it would I wouldn't have to deal with chemicals. Seems like the waste water would provide enough ammonia and bacteria.

Thanks for your time! I hope you all are having a good day and I am planning on attending the auction next month!

Erik

Oh and here is a pic of my tank (just because I love it). It's only a week or so old.

tank.jpg

Blog Entries
    Most Atlanta area water is very soft from the 'hootch or lake lanier. Our TDS is consistently well below 100 pH and pH starts high out of the tap and just free falls over time. Treat it like rainwater and at least add a 1/4 tsp of baking soda per 10 gallons if you don't do anything else. Cycling is much slower in acid water, but you do want to cycle with the same water conditions that you want in the tank long term.

The main reason to do fishless is to start entirely clean, if you are new or had a disease. If you have a healthy tank to seed the next one with, just run the new tank's filter on the old tank for a few weeks and then put it on the new tank with all clean water add fish a few at a time. IMO moving dirty water is too much work.

Welcome to the club Erik... I see that you are using an HOB filter. I can provide you with seeded filler floss so that your fish do not go through the cycling stress that will take up to 3 weeks. Just stop by... it is free. I live downtown Decatur.

Agree with the above, low ph here for sure.

Established media will definitely help you out, most likely will complete your cycle. Coincidentally I got some media from Demonfish last year when I was cycling, definitely finished my cycle.

As to the waste water, I doubt it would help much. The beneficial bacteria is 99% in the filter and substrate, very little in the actual water column.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! It was nice to meet you! I did a test, recorded the results, water change, then put in the floss. I will do another test in a couple days! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Welcome to the club Erik... I see that you are using an HOB filter. I can provide you with seeded filler floss so that your fish do not go through the cycling stress that will take up to 3 weeks. Just stop by... it is free. I live downtown Decatur.

Some of the water departments buffer the water they send to your tap so it will not eat the pipes as fast.
    - Jeremy