AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westies?

Westies?

Thinking about getting started on west Africans. Who else is keeping them and what do you have? Pics would be great :)

Westies?

Such as various krib like species, Congo tetras, and Jewel cichlids?
    I'm also interested on kribs and their cousins!

I have had several "westies" in the past. I am currently keeping Chromidotilapia kingsleyae "maguenge river" (a mouthbrooder) and Hemichromis stellifer (one of the jewels). I also have a tank full of albino kribs (all females unfortunately). My current want list include any of the Nanochromis species.
    Ron VanZant

KRIBS! All of mine are the common BAP variety, but they come in so many different colors and patterns I suspect they have been hybridized.

Anomalochromis thomasi I have a pair of, but as far as I can tell, they have never spawned.

I have some supposedly true Hemichromis lifalili, but they are all juveniles about a half inch long and still paler than I expect.
    - Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by ronv View Post
    I have had several "westies" in the past. I am currently keeping Chromidotilapia kingsleyae "maguenge river" (a mouthbrooder) and Hemichromis stellifer (one of the jewels). I also have a tank full of albino kribs (all females unfortunately). My current want list include any of the Nanochromis species.
    Chromidotilapia kingsleyae looks cool! Would love to try them. David has/had several pairs of N. transvestitus. Very pretty fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog Carns View Post
    KRIBS! All of mine are the common BAP variety, but they come in so many different colors and patterns I suspect they have been hybridized.

Anomalochromis thomasi I have a pair of, but as far as I can tell, they have never spawned.

I have some supposedly true Hemichromis lifalili, but they are all juveniles about a half inch long and still paler than I expect.
    I got so confused with all the "kribs"! I'm sure some people would appreciate the differences but it's going to take a while to learn, lol.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_african_rivers.htm

I think you might like this page, then.

EDIT: OOPS
    that's the biotope page. try this one-
    http://www.lem.net/alf/westafr-eng.htm
    Last edited by Mog Carns; 03-31-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    - Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Mog Carns View Post
    http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_african_rivers.htm

I think you might like this page, then.

EDIT: OOPS
    that's the biotope page. try this one-
    http://www.lem.net/alf/westafr-eng.htm
    Awesome links. Thanks!!!!

Oh yeah, I remember reading the article on the second link, it was amazingly done!

@ronv, if you ever breed yours I'd be interested in the fry!

Maybe I should set them up to breed again. Actually the pair I have are babies I raised from a spawn last year. Mine are in a pretty crowded community tank right now. They are not hard to get to spawn. There are probable more floating around in the club. All of my fry were distributed to other members. I think larry Jenks has some.
    Ron VanZant

Quote Originally Posted by ronv View Post
    Maybe I should set them up to breed again. Actually the pair I have are babies I raised from a spawn last year. Mine are in a pretty crowded community tank right now. They are not hard to get to spawn. There are probable more floating around in the club. All of my fry were distributed to other members. I think larry Jenks has some.
    I meant the albino kribs, should have specified that! I think you're talking about a different fish?