AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: PETCO $1 Sale

PETCO $1 Sale

Hey Guys

Can anyone confirm whether the new Aqueon tanks for sale at PETCO can be drilled?
    I'm sure the 55's are tempered on all sides but not sure on the rest?

Thanks

I just answered your post on ARC. I will copy and paste it here...

Here is a chart letting you know which tanks are tempered on the bottom pane.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19107.pdf

Also a lot of the those $1 Petco tanks are now Tetra brand not Aqueon. The Tetra tanks are tempered all around.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Yes they are having the sell and 55 are tempered glass.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post

Also a lot of the those $1 Petco tanks are now Tetra brand not Aqueon. The Tetra tanks are tempered all around.
    Are you sure about that? Their tanks should be Aqueon as the ad says Aqueon products only. All the $1 per gallon sales have been Aqueon since the one from last January, so if they still have the tetra tanks it should be back stock...

But yeah, that chart is very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
    Are you sure about that? Their tanks should be Aqueon as the ad says Aqueon products only. All the $1 per gallon sales have been Aqueon since the one from last January, so if they still have the tetra tanks it should be back stock...

But yeah, that chart is very helpful!
    Yeah sorry I'm not sure on that. I just know when I spoke with Central Pet (The company that owns Aqueon) a couple of years back they said they we would be getting out of the $1/per Gallon tank sale because the were losing much more money on it then before.

The program from the very beginning was a loss leader in the sense that both Petco and Central are willing to lose money on the glass and sell it dirt cheap to get customers in tanks which will indirectly make them buy more filters, chemicals, cartridges, etc. Which is the stuff they really make the money on.

So Petco started working on a deal with Tetra to move the sale over to that brand and keep it going. But I guess it seems Central is sticking to it for now.

Jakub
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Thanks for the link...
    I was at my local PETCO yesterday and all tanks were Aqueon, they must have changed back from the TETRA brand...

The PDF says tempered bottom but i'm sure the 55G can't be drilled at all, the sticker at the bottom says "Don't drill glass cage (Or something similar) is tempered"....?
    Last edited by Orca; 04-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.

One can always tell if the glass is tempered or not by looking at it with a pair of polarized sunglasses. If glass is tempered you can see a pattern in the glass (look at a rear window on a car to see what the pattern looks like). Easiest way to verify if tank can be drilled.

Yeah sorry I'm not sure on that. I just know when I spoke with Central Pet (The company that owns Aqueon) a couple of years back they said they we would be getting out of the $1/per Gallon tank sale because the were losing much more money on it then before.

The program from the very beginning was a loss leader in the sense that both Petco and Central are willing to lose money on the glass and sell it dirt cheap to get customers in tanks which will indirectly make them buy more filters, chemicals, cartridges, etc. Which is the stuff they really make the money on.

So Petco started working on a deal with Tetra to move the sale over to that brand and keep it going. But I guess it seems Central is sticking to it for now.

Jakub
    Yeah it is strange that the tanks are so cheap, I guess it works for them.

Wired that they keep switching though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
    Yeah it is strange that the tanks are so cheap, I guess it works for them.

Wired that they keep switching though!

They switch due to negotiations for the business for the rest of the year as well as what products will be on their shelves. It is a fairly common practice. Initial switch was probably due to Aqueon not believing that Petco would switch. 2nd switch was them meeting the demands of Petco.