AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new tank, possibly cichlids?

Starting a new tank, possibly cichlids?

I'm about to start another tank, 36g bowfront. Is this big enough for dwarf cichlids? I've done the community tank but I love the look of the rocks, DIY caves and sand for cichlids and I've been researching for a while and getting mixed reviews about the tank size, overstock or not to overstock and which lakes can be combined in 1 tank. Would love to know your experienced opinion about 1- tank size and 2- how many can I get and which combos for the most interesting tank.

thanks!
    Beth

Dwarf Cichlids is a little too broad a subject to even begin answering... from the description, I think you might be talking about Lake T shell dwellers.

Do you have a specific species you like? Given that as a starting point, someone can answer your questions about the suitability, or a similar species that might be better served.
    - Jeremy

When I think of Dwarf Cichlids, the ones that pop into my mind our Neolamprologus species from Lake Tanganyika or Apistos and German Rams from South America. In both cases, one can properly select individual species that would do well in a 36 gallon bow front. You mention sand and caves, which makes me lean towards the Africans. If you were to do Africans in this type of set-up, I would probably lean to N. Similis, Multipunctatus or Caudopunctatus. You can also possible go with a pair of N. Buescheri or Leluepi in this size tank, but if you put in more than a pair, you would see aggression between them. With any of these species selections, I would only make it a species tank.

If you go South American, in a 36, along with the Apistos or Rams, you could add in some type of open water fish (tetras some to mind) for the top part of the tank.

Mog, sorry for being so broad with my question. I've been reading a lot of forums and I start focusing on one species, then see several posts that make me rethink so I'm just overwhelmed with the possibilities. I guess what I'm asking is: this size tank would probably only hold a pair of one (relatively passive) species, then add community fish like tetras? what about a red tail shark? angelfish? I like the N. Similis and Caudopunctatus that Tangfan mentioned.

Tangfan,
    Thanks for the options, I like your suggestions. I'm trying to avoid too much aggression, a pair of N. Similis or Caudopunctatus sound like a good start... I don't want to get in over my head but I'm ready to get a little more interesting than mollies and guppies.

I got some dwarf flag cichlids, laetacara curviceps. They haven't grown larger than about 2 inches.

do you buy from LFS or via this forum?

I bought them from this forum, I have 4 left with 2 being a proven pair and the others probably being the same gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Bswink View Post
    Tangfan,
    Thanks for the options, I like your suggestions. I'm trying to avoid too much aggression, a pair of N. Similis or Caudopunctatus sound like a good start... I don't want to get in over my head but I'm ready to get a little more interesting than mollies and guppies.

I have seen several people on here with Multis listed for sale, just a few with Caudopunctatus for sale (none recently that I recall) and I think I have only seen similis once. I think the last one I saw listing Multis for sale was Pierre.

I must admit, I am into the Tangs very much (who would guess from my name LOL), but the only one of the species I have are the Buescheri (2 different varieties, slightly different looks). I do love the way these guys look.

I've seen Pierre selling similis before but don't know if he has any instock right now