AquaRank.com
  • 06-30-2016
    *The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
    Calendar
    Club Events

July meeting?

Is there one and when?
  • Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July meeting?: 06-30-2016

Blog Entries
      Every time you move it (in time or space) you will lose some people and get others. Once its settled, we need to publicize aggressively to replace the loses.

I just recently joined the club. One major reason was because I am close to the Fernbank Science Center. Please don't change the meeting spot. -Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
      I just recently joined the club. One major reason was because I am close to the Fernbank Science Center. Please don't change the meeting spot. -Caleb
      From my understanding Fernbank is a bit hard to work with. And When they shoved us into that makeshift room for Rachel's meeting... that sucked.
      Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
      Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
      Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
      ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Fernbank has proven to be a venue of last resort. They simply are not responsive and bump us to rooms / areas that aren't appropriate. I was embarrassed as hell when Rachel had to speak in a sectioned off area in the flow of the general public.

Board Of Directors gloriousbettas's Avatar
      Follow gloriousbettas On Twitter Add gloriousbettas on Facebook
      Visit gloriousbettas's Pinterest Channel
      I had the first Saturday of every month on my calendar for AAAA meetings, but since they are just "whenever" now I will not be able to make many. I am in direct sales and do vendor events on Saturdays which is a big shopping day for retail and sports day for baseball, softball and soccer. I'll be there when I can.

Kendra

Agree with Kendra,had the first Sat. of every month marked off to attend the meeting- moving dates,places,times,etc is just a recipe for dwindling attendance.Julys meeting should have been planned months ago.

Well the Location thing can be though. Sounds like the BOD is doing their very best on that one. I'm sure the goal is to find one spot and stick to it. Can be a lot harder then one would think. Fernbank seemed like a nice spot at first... but not so much anymore. I don't think the BOD is trying to move it around and have it on what ever date. Just don't have much of a choice right now.

I do completely agree on keeping the dates consistent. While a good bit of the clubs out there do not have a set day every month because they rotate their meeting locations from various LFS and vendors. I think in our case we would greatly benefit from having a set date every month. I was in the same boat... we used to do it on Sundays and I was able to make them every once in a while. But once they got moved to Saturdays the only one I asked off work for was Rachel's meeting. I'm sure once a good location we can afford is finally found then the dates becoming consistent will fall into place naturally.
      Last edited by aXio; 07-05-2016 at 03:32 PM.
      Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
      Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
      Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
      ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriousbettas View Post
      I had the first Saturday of every month on my calendar for AAAA meetings, but since they are just "whenever" now I will not be able to make many. I am in direct sales and do vendor events on Saturdays which is a big shopping day for retail and sports day for baseball, softball and soccer. I'll be there when I can.

Kendra
      Kendra,

They are not "whenever". They will be when and where we can secure a venue which meets the needs of the club. Both for overall accommodations and budget. The meeting have been on Sat for the past three years so I'm not really understanding the reason for the new found urgency about the day. I wish you could have stayed at the picnic longer. I would have been happy to discuss all the details with you.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
      Agree with Kendra,had the first Sat. of every month marked off to attend the meeting- moving dates,places,times,etc is just a recipe for dwindling attendance.Julys meeting should have been planned months ago.
      I agree and that was attempted. With changing of venues come scheduling difficulties. Unfortunate, but unavoidable.

Consistency is definitely a goal, but there is a trade off of sorts when working with any of our prospective venues. Do we try to keep the location consistent which puts us at the mercy of their schedule or do we keep the 1st Sat consistent and possibly have to move venues somewhat willy nilly? A ton of work has gone into scheduling the venues and talks. The BOD was talking about the need to move the meetings long before the latest elections. While I understand that change is upsetting, I believe it is an absolutely necessary component of maintaining and improving the club. Additionally, work is also being put in to secure all dates for 2017 this year and have a stable calendar for next year. The BOD elected next year can choose to redo or change it if they like.

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions from all.

Len

Yes, the longer drive will make it harder for me to attend the meetings...but it no going to stop me from attending when possible. Which the reason why I liked the fernbank was my daughter and I enjoyed going touring the place after the meetings. However I hope if you all do change the dates from Saturday to Sunday's, that y'all account for the members who attend church and the drive..like me that drives 1 1/2 hours (minimum) to the new location. So a later start time on Sunday will be fine for me and of course any time on Saturdays.

As a member of the BOD I can say with confidence that we have discussed this topic more than anything else. Meetings are held at noon before each monthly club meeting. Currently we meet at Athens Pizza. I'm sure that will change with the new venue. Any club member can attend the BOD meeting. We would welcome anyone that has a suggestion about when and where the events should be held. By suggestion, I mean a "specific" suggestion that has been researched. Not a "we need to meet on Sunday" or "we need to meet near where I live" unless you can name a place that meet our requirements. You would not believe the amount of sweat and tears that have gone into this decision. We have BOD members that actually supported the current move as positive for the club, even though they will not be able to attend regularly and may have to resign from the board. I personally live in Alabama, 90 miles south of Atlanta, so I am not thrilled with where the new location is either. But everything else meets our needs better than anything else we could find so I fully support the move. We will probable lose members and attendance will drop for a while. I hate that. We will also maybe pick up new members over time. The new venue is in demand by a lot of groups and we are new to the party. First Sat. dates were already booked for 2016. We are now trying to get our name on the schedule for next year so maybe that will resolve itself. As for the location... we just can't find anything better.
      Ron VanZant