AquaRank.com
  • 07-23-2016 01:30 PM to 05:00 PM
    *The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
    Calendar
    Club Events

July 2016 Meeting

The July AAAA meeting is July 23rd at Premier Aquatics in Marietta!
    AAAA Vice President, Brianna Mercer is giving her talk "Taking the Plunge: Venturing into Aquariums" for people who are ready to start their first freshwater tank. This talk will be great for kids, educators, parents or anyone who is new to keeping fish.
    More details will be coming this week about this meeting. Meeting starts at 1:30 PM. Hope you can join us!
  • Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 2016 Meeting: 07-23-2016 01:30 PM - 05:00 PM

Have a question slightly off subject. I know it is typically said that freshwater plants grow best under 6500K lights, but I have been seeing a lot of 7000K lights either on aquarium bulbs, LED fixtures or complete systems like this. I also fully understand the bell curve that is associated with the various wavelengths given off, but these 7000K lights are showing a shift of 500K in target average frequency. Is this saying that the optimum light range for plants is truly 7000K and not the 6500K? Or is it more of what the typical available light spectrum bulbs are that are readily available showing through? Just my curiosity peaking out. Again, I fully understand that the shift is a minor shift in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
      Sweet!

Here is a teaser of the main prize! FREE raffle to current paid AAAA members!

Unfortunately I never took too much time to delve into the science behind it. Most of what I know is through personal experience, trial and error, as well as what we do out in the field for our service accounts.

I personally don't believe that any one Kelvin rating is optimal for plants. Outside in the wild they experience a broad range of spectrum through out the day. I think the 6,500k just became the standard because it is hard to make a bunch of different rated bulbs. So I feel that 6,500k was chosen as a nice middle ground. The 7,000 is getting a little closer to the "cool/blue white" side of things so it pops the fluorescent colors on the fish really nice.

I usually tell people that plants utilize mostly anything between 5,000 - 8,000K. If possible I always recommend mixing up the bulbs. In my two bulbs fixtures I would always do 1x 6,500k and 1x 5,000k, but I also prefer my tanks on the warm white side as I feel it looks a lot more natural. Anything below or above starts slowly getting out of the preferred range. Although I have seen some people grow plants really well under 10,000k bulbs. Heck Tom Bar even throws an Actinic/Blue bulb or 2 into is 6 to 8 bulb fixtures... just to get as close to "Full Spectrum" as possible.
      Last edited by aXio; 07-19-2016 at 11:39 AM.
      Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
      Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
      Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
      ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

I've always been told 6500 to 10K. I've used both.
      Larry Bugg
      NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
      SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Color temperature ie K is a measurement for your eye and not for the what the plants require for photosynthesis. You really want to see the PAR chart preferably at various depths (ie 6 inch depth intervals) and color spectrum chart for a light. I tried to find this information for this kit light but came up empty which is unfortunate and not surprising for a small aio tank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
      Color temperature ie K is a measurement for your eye and not for the what the plants require for photosynthesis. You really want to see the PAR chart preferably at various depths (ie 6 inch depth intervals) and color spectrum chart for a light. I tried to find this information for this kit light but came up empty which is unfortunate and not surprising for a small aio tank like this.
      *Steps aside for the real expert* =)

aX·i·o

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
      PAR ? How about PUR ?????
      PUR scale has been a long debated topic in our hobby. A lot of people argued it was merely a theory and that it wasn't an accurate way of measuring light. A simple way to think about is... PUR is the measurement of "Quality of Light" compared to PAR which is the measurement of "Quantity of Light"

Below is a link to one of the best articles I have read on the topic talking PAR and PUR light measurement.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...-lighting.html
      Last edited by aXio; 07-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.

aX·i·o

Yes PAR and spectrum charts to help you make an educated guess at PUR for what you are growing.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
      PUR scale has been a long debated topic in our hobby. A lot of people argued it was merely a theory and that it wasn't an accurate way of measuring light. A simple way to think about is... PUR is the measurement of "Quality of Light" compared to PAR which is the measurement of "Quantity of Light"

Below is a link to one of the best articles I have read on the topic comparing PAR to PUR measurement.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...-lighting.html
      Good find Jakub. This references former BMLs Cara Wade who did a fantastic interview with Art Pennom. Very good listening. Even better listening was Scapefu Episode 57 (I joke of course...or am I).

If you are not familiar with Scapefu and are into planted tanks go treat yourself and listen to the podcasts at scapefu.com.

Very interesting discussion, seems like I totally hijacked the thread. Sorry Guys, but thanks a lot of the added information. I believe I can never have enough.