AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

Bought my Discus a Cabin

Most already know that I'm in the middle of moving. We sold our house in Metro Atlanta back in April and are temporarily living with my father-in-law in Hillsboro, Ga. We closed on the mortgage of our new home this week which will be a Modular home and will probably be ready around mid September. The plan was to build a free standing building for a fish room but I found a used 16x32 foot Cabin that I was able to buy cheaper than I could build. It should be delivered in the next week or two and I can go ahead and wire and plumb it so it will be ready to hook up as soon as we move into the new house. My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125. It has been a year since I closed down the fish room and I'm really getting excited to get some breeding going again.

Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Larry Bugg

Blog Entries
    Nice Larry!
    Good luck!
    The 'other' Larry

Very nice Larry! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Awesome! Definitely following along.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

The barn doors will be will be walled off along with one of the windows so I can have that space for racks. Will install a wall mounted heat pump for ac and heat. I've been doing wc's here with tap water with no ill affects on the discus so I won't need to store my water for changes. I will install a tankless water heater and run the cold and hot water through a thermostatic valve to maintain water temp going into the tanks.
    Larry Bugg

That's awesome, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Most already know that I'm in the middle of moving. We sold our house in Metro Atlanta back in April and are temporarily living with my father-in-law in Hillsboro, Ga. We closed on the mortgage of our new home this week which will be a Modular home and will probably be ready around mid September. The plan was to build a free standing building for a fish room but I found a used 16x32 foot Cabin that I was able to buy cheaper than I could build. It should be delivered in the next week or two and I can go ahead and wire and plumb it so it will be ready to hook up as soon as we move into the new house. My initial plans call for eight 20's, eight 75's, four 40's and one 125. It has been a year since I closed down the fish room and I'm really getting excited to get some breeding going again.

Yeah, glad to see your getting back online!!!!

Looks a little small for a fishroom. Perhaps you should live there and use the modular for the fish.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Looks a little small for a fishroom. Perhaps you should live there and use the modular for the fish.:)
    Lol, well plans do indeed change.

Ok, so here is the updated plan. Originally I had planned on walling off the two barn doors at the back of the cabin. New plan is to remove both doors. I am then going to build a 10' x 8' addition off the door openings. This new area will be insulated and will house the two 330 gallon water storage totes. They are 40" x 48" and will take up half of the new room. The remainder of the room will be used to house the refrigerator, sink and work table. May also have enough room left for one or two of the plastic 5 shelf racks I used for supplies in the old fish room. This means I will no longer need a water heater for the tanks as the water in the storage totes will be heated. My fish in the garage have been doing fine with water from the tap but I really like aging my water. Moving the non aquarium items into the new area will allow me to increase my total aquarium gallons to around 1200 gallons and possible leave the two windows in the main area uncovered. If I decide I need more tank space I can always cover the windows and put tanks in front of them at a later time. I like having the windows unobstructed so I can have the natural light in the room during the day.

Here it is after it was delivered to my home site.

Larry Bugg