AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought my Discus a Cabin

How far is that from your home Larry? Also how do you plan on running water and power to the cabin? Please take lots of pictures of the expansion! Getting there one step at a time!
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
    How far is that from your home Larry? Also how do you plan on running water and power to the cabin? Please take lots of pictures of the expansion! Getting there one step at a time!
    We are currently living with my father-in-law while the home is being built. It is a modular home and will be about 100 feet from cabin. The home is expected to be delivered in about 4 or 5 weeks. Once the house is delivered we will drill a well and electricity will be run. I will split tie into the water line running from the well to the house and electricity will run from the house to the cabin.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Started building the 8' x 10" extension to hold the water storage. We should get the roof on tomorrow morning and then I can start next week on the wiring and plumbing

Larry Bugg

Here is about version 20 of the interior of the cabin. Oh, version 21............the stand by the 125 that shows 2 x 20 and 1 x 75 is actually 2 x75. No 20's. Total 1255 gallons not counting the storage.660 gallons of storage water. I left the two windows in the center of the building uncovered. If I need to later I can close off those windows and put another 160 gallons in. I don't show it on the drawing but I will have a work table in front of the two water totes. I also think I can get some shelves in the extension for equipment storage.

Larry Bugg

Who needs windows anyway... *grin*. Coming along more and more! Planning automated water changes on any of the tanks?

aX·i·o

Who needs windows anyway... *grin*. Coming along more and more! Planning automated water changes on any of the tanks?
    Guess it depends on what you mean by automated. To me it basically means a drip system which I'm not a big believer in. At least not for the kind of fish I keep and for breeding purposes. I don't think there is a good substitution for a real water change. So I guess I will be semi automated, lol. All the tanks are drilled so draining is easy. I use a siphon tube on a long hose that is plumbed into the drain so cleaning the bottom of each tank is fairly easy and quick. The water totes will each have a pump and be plumbed above each of the tanks so I only have to turn a valve to re-fill each of the tanks. I am also planning on a float valve on each of the tanks so I won't have to worry about over flows.
    Larry Bugg

Looks great Larry!!! Fun project I am sure, Its funny though I think the fish will be settled in before you are?? LOL!! Very cool though!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimfur80 View Post
    Looks great Larry!!! Fun project I am sure, Its funny though I think the fish will be settled in before you are?? LOL!! Very cool though!!

Jim
    Lol, that's exactly the plan Jim. I want the fish in the new room just as soon as water and power are available which would probably end up being a week or so before we move in. With pairs spawning and a couple of more pairs on the way I really don't have enough room in the garage and doing daily water changes in the garage is a pita.
    Larry Bugg

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Guess it depends on what you mean by automated. To me it basically means a drip system which I'm not a big believer in. At least not for the kind of fish I keep and for breeding purposes. I don't think there is a good substitution for a real water change. So I guess I will be semi automated, lol. All the tanks are drilled so draining is easy. I use a siphon tube on a long hose that is plumbed into the drain so cleaning the bottom of each tank is fairly easy and quick. The water totes will each have a pump and be plumbed above each of the tanks so I only have to turn a valve to re-fill each of the tanks. I am also planning on a float valve on each of the tanks so I won't have to worry about over flows.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a fan of drip systems either... to much risk of failures. But I figured you would have some kind of drain/valve switch system for easy filling and draining. Can't wait to see more!

aX·i·o

That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a fan of drip systems either... to much risk of failures. But I figured you would have some kind of drain/valve switch system for easy filling and draining. Can't wait to see more!
    For me it isn't a matter of failure it's a matter of how much clean water you end up with. Changing 25% with a drip is not the same as changing 25% at one time. With a continuous drip the change takes place over the entire day and as clean water drips in it mixes with the dirty water so as water drains from the tank some of the new clean water goes out also. You don't end up actually changing 25%. With growing out discus our biggest issue is with dissolved organic compounds in the water. These docs's create a breeding ground for bacteria and these bacteria adversely affect young discus more so than any other fish I have kept. For that reason we want to get as much of the doc's out of the water daily as we can which only happens with large water changes.
    Larry Bugg