AquaRank.com
  • 09-17-2016 12:00 PM to 05:00 PM
    *The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
    Calendar
    Club Events

Sept 2016 Meeting and Bowl Show

Sept 17 we are having an extended BoD and membership meeting starting at 12 PM at the Windy Hill Community Center in the Aspen Room (1885 Roswell St. SE. Smyrna, GA 30080, upon entering the lobby the room is down the left hallway). This meeting will be to discuss and reveal a few new ideas and membership programs for the 2017 year as well as discuss places where current members can help and get involved. Pizza will be provided but only WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! Come join us for this working lunch meeting! Bring your own lunch is fine as well.

The Bowl Show will begin at 2 PM. The rules are as follows*.
    - You MUST be a paid member to enter a fish. Membership registration/renewal will be available on site.
    - You may enter 1 fish that comfortably fits in no larger than a 5 gallon tank/bowl, smaller is acceptable.
    - Bring your own tank and water for the tank.
    - No lights, filters or decorations in the tank.
    - Battery powered air pumps with air stone will be allowed AFTER the first 20 minutes of judging (allowed after 2:20 PM). No wired air pumps please.
    - Fish must be of breeding age, no fry need apply.
    - Fish will be anonymously judged by the membership present. Highest number of votes wins. Ties will be broken by the BoD members present.
    - Prizes: 1st place - $50 Premier Aquatics Gift Card and 1 yr subscription to AMAZONAS magazine
    2nd place - $25 Premier Aquatics Gift Card and 1 yr subscription to AMAZONAS magazine
    3rd place - $15 Premier Aquatics Gift Card and 1 yr subscription to AMAZONAS magazine

*Rules and prizes will be finalized 1 week prior to the Bowl show.

Please be courteous and quiet as you set up your tank if the membership/BoD meeting is still going on.

Mini-auction will follow the Bowl Show.

HUGE Thank You to Premier Aquatics and Reef2Rainforest for the incredible prize donation!
  • Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Sept 2016 Meeting and Bowl Show: 09-17-2016 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM

Sept 2016 Meeting and Bowl Show

Very cool! I have a few questions: Just making sure that the winning fish will not be auctioned off, correct?

Would a shrimp be allowed?

Is a thin substrate allowed (to calm the inhabitant and get better coloration when stressed)?

Great questions!
      -Winning fish DO NOT have to be auction. You're friend can go home with you!
      -no inverts this go around. However, if we get lots of participation (and a Bowl Show chairman that isn't already the VP and social media chairman ... Hint hint ��) then I'd like to consider having categories for a future Bowl Show.
      -no substrate this time. This is a fairly common rule in my research of other Bowl Show rules. I understand the stress aspect. I'll definitely keep an eye on that as I see how this show goes.
      Thanks for the questions!
      ~ Brianna (Brie) Mercer
      AAAA Vice President and Social Media Chairperson

UPDATE ABOUT PRIZES: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will also receive a 1 yr subscription to AMAZONAS Magazine! YAY!!!!! Bring on the fish!!!!!
      ~ Brianna (Brie) Mercer

How about aeration? Just a simple airstone, especially for a big fish in a 5-gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
      How about aeration? Just a simple airstone, especially for a big fish in a 5-gallon tank.
      Agree with this one.
      Larry Bugg
      AAAA BOD Member
      NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
      SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Let's do this ... Generally speaking, we don't want the fish to be able to hide behind anything. Thus the need for an empty un-decorated tank. So let's say, the first 20 minutes of judging (2-2:20), no airstones. After that, I'm fine with airstones as long as the pump is battery powered as I don't know how accessible power outlets will be nor to I want there to be a competition over outlets or people tripping over power cords. I will add this to the rules. Thanks for the idea.
      Last edited by Briemesm; 08-28-2016 at 03:10 PM.
      ~ Brianna (Brie) Mercer