AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Sick Rusty?

Sick Rusty?

I have had my cichlid tank (55g) up and running for about 5 months now, it's definitely the best tank I've ever had! Steve, from this forum sold me the fish (3 Taiwan reefs, 4 rustys, 3 yellow belly albert and 3 lemon jakes) and also told me about the SunSun canister filter - both have been great decisions. I do have 1 fish, a Rusty, that I'm concerned about, he's not the dominant rusty in the tank, however I have not had any trouble with them fighting each other. He comes out for food but doesn't really look like he's eating, he swims around a little but is mostly hiding in a cave (there are 11 caves) he just seems weak. He's got something going on under his mouth area, attaching 2 pics. I tested the water and: 7.5ph, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia. Seems like a healthy tank...if you have any ideas of what's under his mouth, if it's normal (doesn't look like my other rustys all the same age), if there's something I can do or should be doing...all comments are appreciated!
    1.PNG2.PNG
    thanks!
    Beth

of course once I finally post a question, I think I may have figured it out....could this be a female holding fry??

It is definitely a female holding fry. Congrats on getting her to spawn.

That's cool! I see a few IMG_6135.jpg babies hiding in the rocks but they seem too big to have just been born, mom looks like she's still carrying fry... would she be releasing them a few at a time or all at once?

Congrats! She may spit them out overtime. If you add food, she may speed that up as she's likely hungry.

Glad it ended up being great news! =) She will let them all go eventually, the fry may or may not last very long in the display tank.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Blog Entries
    Mothers have been known to let them out, go eat, and then go pick them up for bedtime. As they get bigger she'll have to let them fend for themselves. The taiwan reefs are the biggest threats, they fry aren't really safe until they no longer fit in their mouths. Even little cichlids have sense enough to hide in the rocks. Expect some to survive, but not nearly as many as if you pull the holding mother and let her release in another tank.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd tank to transfer mom and /or babies to so they will just have to let nature sort it out. I am seeing babies of much different sizes so maybe this isn't the first batch of fry lol. Do Rustys only mate with Rustys or could this be a mix of any of the peacocks with the Rusty? These fish are so cool to watch, they have completely changed the rocks/caves (pushed them over, dug out from under them..) and the sand pattern changes every other day almost, so many nooks and hiding spots!