AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Checking in from Dacula

Checking in from Dacula

Middle aged guy wants to get back in the hobby by trying a small planted tank. Going slow for now, trying to get dirt substrate tank clear.

Welcome to the club! Best of luck with that substrate, did you cap it with anything?
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the club and back into the hobby! Our next meeting is Nov. 19th if you're interested in attending.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
    Welcome to the club! Best of luck with that substrate, did you cap it with anything?
    I met you before reading this and bought some Clarify. We'll see if my gravel cap works or just break the whole thing down again. The Clarify is helping.

What size tank? What light level are you planning? Should I start saving trimmings?
    Plants, plants, and more plants...

You should always save trimmings. :)

Trimmings? Just have to figure out how to meet up with you and a fair price. This is just a 10 gallon to dip my fingers back into the hobby, but I have a 46(?) bow front waiting for a little success with this tank. Plan is to layer in short to tall, front to back(duh), with maybe a few chunks of marble or whatever those marble-looking rocks are that I keep finding in the yard.

Livestock is likely to be a betta, cories for janitorial duty, and neon tetra / swordtail / or shrimp for critters. Enough for interest, but not a heavy bio-load.

Decided dirt substrate was not going to ever settle down, so stripped it out and started over with plain gravel for now. I'd like to re-attempt something, but won't dump whatever is in a bag from the garage again. Lighting will be two T5 tubes on a timer.

Must fix my settings here. Too easy to rudely not see messages headed my way in a timely manner. This is also the first forum I've ever seen where the newest message is on top. Interesting idea.

With twin T5 lighting, it would seem that you will have medium high to high light situation with such a shallow tank. Why not use an expanded clay substrate like Florite? Their black gravels and their onyx sand both look good in a planted tank and it would only take one bag, if that. You would still need to dose daily with Excel or some other gluteraldehyde carbon source, but that wouldn't be expensive with a 10 gal. A premixed fertilizer along the PMDD lines wouldn't cost too much either for that size aquarium.
    Since you mention aquascaping with a variety of plants, I think you need a plant friendly substrate rather than plain gravel, as that would limit your plant options quite a bit.
    No worries on the prices, I've never had anyone complain about them, usually it's the "No! No more plants, I'm only filling a 30 gal!" (They give me 5 or 10$ and I keep handing them bags of trimmings and divisions until they leave in panic.)
    Plants, plants, and more plants...