AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drip System Experiment

Food competition ... bullying will not change even if water is chanhed...

Actually none ever tested it... at least none i know who has tested n proved it.....

But I kept pwruvian angels ( close to wild one ).... they did fine with biweekly water change.... n the tank was full with plants...once cycled NO3 never reached above 15 mark

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pinaki_pal View Post
    Food competition ... bullying will not change even if water is chanhed...

Actually none ever tested it... at least none i know who has tested n proved it.....

But I kept pwruvian angels ( close to wild one ).... they did fine with biweekly water change.... n the tank was full with plants...once cycled NO3 never reached above 15 mark

Sorry if my answer was confusing. I'm not saying at all that water changes have anything to do bullying or food competition. I was just answering your question on discus hormones...

I mentioned bulling and food competition because those are two things that make it hard to test the hormone theory... because you will never truly know if the fish is stunting due to hormones, bullying, or food competition because likely all three of those things will be going on at the same time in the aquarium. So the easy and simple answer... just don't keep small discus with larger ones.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
    Sorry if my answer was confusing. I'm not saying at all that water changes have anything to do bullying or food competition. I was just answering your question on discus hormones...

I mentioned bulling and food competition because those are two things that make it hard to test the hormone theory... because you will never truly know if the fish is stunting due to hormones, bullying, or food competition because likely all three of those things will be going on at the same time in the aquarium. So the easy and simple answer... just don't keep small discus with larger ones.
    True that........

Quote Originally Posted by aXio View Post
    Larry would be better answering this question. But from my knowledge it is just a theory and has not been proven at all. Plus there are so many other things to consider... naturally there will be food competition so inevitably the smaller discus will get less food. Also there could be bullying going on from the large discus, which some say can cause stress to the smaller one which might cause stunting as well.

In any case whether it's hormones, bullying, or food competition it generally best to keep discus close to the same size.
    This is a myth that actually started with Jack Wattley. Jack was considering whether or not this might be the case but later said that he didn't believe it was true. People have picked up on his original comment and still run with it today. There has been nothing to prove that any kind of growth hormone can be emitted by discus.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pinaki_pal View Post
    I'll refrain commenting if its discus. .because i believe its a diff ball game for them...... they tend to b more defficult to keep than other fishes which i have kept. ... but again there r 2 aspects. .... if u talk about wild discus u have to maintain low ph...so its not possible to maintain a steady flow of low ph using drip if ur source has higher ph.........

Discus are not really that difficult to keep. Properly growing them out to their full potential is very labor intensive. The main requirement for discus is good clean water.

Actually wild discus do not have to be kept in low ph. Many people today keep them in higher ph. What they absolutely do need is a consistent stable ph. This is why we recommend doing a 24 hour ph test. Test your water out of the tap and then let it sit in a bucket with a air stone for 24 hours and check the ph again. If there much of a difference between the two then the water needs to be aged for 24 hours before using it to make water changes. I age close to 700 gallons for changes.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast