AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: Annual Breeders Competition (ABC)

Annual Breeders Competition (ABC)

Hello Everyone,

AAAA will be launching a new program this year. Our Annual Breeders Competition! This program will be separate from the BAP program and is a 1 year sprint to breed the most fish from a specific class. There will be a prize for the winner as well as something in acknowledgement for all whom participate, details on that will come in the future. Buck Meyer (canoe) will be our ABC Chairman and accepting all entries this year. This is part of our endeavor this year to revitalize the clubs breeding programs which began with Ron Kempner (Rahnk) becoming our new BAP Chairman. This should be an exciting competition and I look forward to seeing all the awesome fish being submitted.

Everybody, regardless of previous BAP submissions will start with 0 (zero) points at the beginning of the year. This score is completely separate from the BAP score and does not affect your standing with BAP. 1 bag of fish MAY be submitted for both BAP and ABC credit.

Fish you have previously entered for BAP, MAY be resubmitted for the Annual Breeders Competition. No additional BAP credit can be earned for previously submitted fish, only ABC points.

All active paid members may enter fish relevant to the selected group of fish at monthly meetings, which have a mini auction, or a main auction for the competition.

These fish must be verified by the ABC or BAP chairman or by a BoD member and must conform to standard AAAA rules for BAP submissions. Please submit forms in person when you turn in your fish for verification.

Those choosing to write an article for Fish Talk must submit the article in time for the next edition of Fish Talk and points will not be awarded until your article is published. Please submit articles to: AAAAfishABC@gmail.com

Competition will run January - November with grand prize for most points earned being awarded at the AAAA Holiday Party in December.

Ways to earn points (pick one):
    1) submit ABC form and donate fish to club for sale during a mini-auction or main auction
    2) submit ABC form, sell fish at mini auction or main auction, write article for Fish Talk (rules below)

Rules for article submission:
    - Must be a minimum of 100 words
    - Must include at least 2 photos of your fish (1 of the whole tank, 1 close up of fish)
    - Things to include are: Community or species only? other fish in the tank? Water parameters, temperature, food, filter type, plants, rocks, wood, substrate? Spawning method, spawning media, number of fish, number of fry? Spawning or mating witnessed? Fry raised in tank or moved? First foods for fry?
    - The more you include the more helpful it is to other members of the club.
    - Article must be submitted before the next meeting following fish submission.

2017 ABC Spotlight – Livebearers:

Points for Livebearers
    10 pts: Poecilia, Gambusia, all other
    15 pts: Goodeids, Xiphophorus
    20 pts: half beaks
    30 pts: anableps, belanesox

Bonus points awarded:
    -5 pts for submitting the first of a species to the ABC competition. If multiple of a single species are submitted for the first time at the same meeting, all of those will be awarded the bonus points. (For the inaugural 2017 year only any species submitted in Jan, Feb, or Mar will be eligible for the bonus points as if they had all been submitted in January.)
    -5 pts for both donating the fish AND submitting an article for the Fish Talk.
    Last edited by GTMerciless; 12-30-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    David Mercer
    AAAA Auction Chair

I have suggested on several occasions at BOD meetings that a max. of 5 aquariums be allowed for this competition. This would allow the average member to compete with people with 50 -100 tank fish rooms. Otherwise the David Ramsey's, Larry Jenks will run away with it. They probably will anyway if they are serious LOL. But this would at least give others a little chance.
    Ron VanZant

Quote Originally Posted by ronv View Post
    I have suggested on several occasions at BOD meetings that a max. of 5 aquariums be allowed for this competition. This would allow the average member to compete with people with 50 -100 tank fish rooms. Otherwise the David Ramsey's, Larry Jenks will run away with it. They probably will anyway if they are serious LOL. But this would at least give others a little chance.
    True but you'd probably end up with a lot of common strains of fish, whereas allowing everyone you can get more exotic varieties...

I'm excited for this got several livebearers to enter!

I got endlers I could bring in but can't make it to the meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
    True but you'd probably end up with a lot of common strains of fish, whereas allowing everyone you can get more exotic varieties...

I'm excited for this got several livebearers to enter!
    I don't think Ron means to exclude anyone that has a large number of tanks... just that each person devote no more than five tanks to the project.
    - Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Mog Carns View Post
    I don't think Ron means to exclude anyone that has a large number of tanks... just that each person devote no more than five tanks to the project.
    Ok, that makes more sense, and I agree.

I have been absolutely terrible at following instructions. I did not submit the write up with the fish. May I submit entries late with a reduced point value? I understand if not, it's a lot of work to go back several months to confirm the entry.
    Last edited by heatherbeast; 10-29-2017 at 07:43 PM.