AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive Male Similis

Aggressive Male Similis

I've got a little bit of a situation. I've got a pair of Similis in my 10 gallon tank as my 20 gallon long they will end up in is still cycling. The male seems to be very aggressive towards the female and she has been very stressed and hiding up by the heater lately. I've put some lava rock in the tank to break up the view of him towards her, but this doesn't seem to be helping much. It also appears that she has developed fin rot due to the stress. I've been dosing some Paraguard to combat what appears to be fin rot on her.

My tank parameters are as follows:

PH 8.3-8.4
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.0ppm
    DKH 19°
    GH/KH 339.3

Blog Entries
    This might be a silly question but are there shells in the tank? She should just be able to take cover in one of them instead of swimming for the top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tons of shells. They have what would amount to at least four each and them some.

Do you have some vertical rock to break the line of sight? I have several similis but haven't had this issue.

I do. I split the tank into three or 4 little sand beds. She just seems like her fins are a bit ragged like she's stressed and fin rot is happening. I've been dosing Paraguard to the tank to fight that.

Blog Entries
    If you have a hang on breeder net or something similar I'd toss one in there with some shells so the female could get a break and recover. She'll probably fight back or maybe be left alone once she's healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Hows the pH and hardness? Most fin rots don't like Tang water (pH 9, TDS 300), You may just be seeing where he's nipped away her fins. Get smaller shells when he can't fit. Maybe they need a break from each other. I'm sure he'd prefer a harem.

The PH is between 8.3-8.4
    The hardness was DKH 19º and GH/KH 339.3 yesterday when I tested
    I did a water change today and its reading DKH 15º and GH/KH 267.9

I am looking for anyone willing to part with an extra female or two so I can have a harem for him.

Blog Entries
    Put one of them in the 20. And use a bacteria in a bottle to speed the cycle. One tiny fish is not much of bio-load.