AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Thread: New guy here from atlanta

New guy here from atlanta

Hey guys the names rob I live in midtown! Found this site yesterday since I decided to start up a freshwater aquarium for my desk. I'm normally into reefs and have a 20 gallon reef but I needed a new forum for my new desktop tank. I just started setting it up so it isn't on my desk yet I'll include a picture below of what it is so far! I'm really big into aquariums that look great and are pleasing to the eye! Sorry to hate on all you people who put pots in your aquariums :( but those are ugly lol. I'm 23 years old and always looking to meet up with some cool people who can show me a thing or two about freshwater and plants since I don't know much about the scene or give me any recommendations.

Not sure how to add the pictures... this website isn't mobile friendly

Welcome to the club. The site can use taptalk to make it more mobile friendly, but I personally rather use the forum itself.

As for your tank, many people are now getting into shrimp or invert tanks for freshwater nano-tanks and are planting them heavily. Most recommend going with a good substrate, so starting a new tank is the easiest way to do this. There are many types of good plant substrates out there, and I honestly do not know which is the best.

Similar to reef tanks, plants can require varying amount of light as well as nutrients (ferts and CO2). Best method might be get an idea of type of plants you want and then model your equipment after that, but I normally do it the opposite way, get the equipment, then see what I can get that will thrive based on my equipment (backwards I know).

Flower pots are cheap, safe, and readily available sources of caves for cave spawning species. Most people do not have them in "show" tanks, just breeding tanks. I had one for a while that was a flooded garden, so the scatters pots were thematic.

Aquatic plants are similar to terrestrial, except for the need to support weight. Anything that looks like it could support it's own weight above water is likely a bog plant being sold as submersible. It is not so much living as it is dying slowly.
    Anything that can grow while floating is practically impossible to kill. Java Fern and Anubis grow extremely slowly, making them good for low maintenance. Amazon Sword gets too big for most nanotanks. Most everything else has special lighting concerns.

Most nano tanks (1, 2, and 5 gallon) are too small for fish, but can house shrimp. Red Cherry Shrimp are popular for it. There are a number of small anabantids that will live quite well singly in a 10gallon.
    - Jeremy

Welcome to the forum! The desktop tank is on my bucket list. It'll be for my workplace, my office at home is made up of aquariums and my desk is behind them. I've seen pots featured prominently in a pond biotope of somewhere in India and it was really a great part of it and it seemed to belong.