AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line conditioner added to surge protector

Question Line conditioner added to surge protector

I was wondering if anyone here uses a Line conditioner in conjunction to a surge protector?

On my Hi-Fi system,yes I do.What would it do for a aquarium?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
    On my Hi-Fi system,yes I do.What would it do for a aquarium?
    At present I have TV, PC with Modem, aquarium lights and filters on 1 surge protector. When I unplug a filter the electricity to the TV flickers. I want to correct this problem before I hoop up a new TV. My old TV is 30yrs old thus uncertain if electrical spikes made it start flipping. Not something I want to chance with new TV.

Was wondering how a line filter affects the item that is connected to it?

Blog Entries
    An expensive TV and a PC may be worth buying a UPS, uninterruptible power supply. My little $40 UPS keeps my computer from rebooting during times my lights dim or flicker. But it only works for a half hour of total outage. Enough time to run around and shut everything off, not enough to power tanks during a outage.
    What does a line filter do?
    Last edited by Demonfish; 03-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Chances are high that a 30 year old TV is pulling way more power than a modern one would. That by itself may render this moot.

Because of the regular electrical interruptions at our address, I also use a UPS in many applications, including aquariums. If the power just flickers, it evens out the drop/surge, protecting the items downstream. If the power goes out and does not return in a few minutes, I can selectively unplug the non-essential items, leaving an air pump running to service several tanks for a long period of time.

Well I bought 3 ESP SurgeX XG-PCS-15D Next Gen PCS - Line conditioner on Ebay. I can not return them. Line conditioner can help to keep external transients and spikes on the power line from entering the product enclosure. This type of interference can be caused by other AC powered devices being turned on and off and by motors running on the the same power subsystem.

Demonfish where did you get your UPS?

Hopefully since the TV and Comcast box will have its on Surge protector Line filter I won't have any problems with it.
    Last edited by Hilde; 03-29-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think it was microcenter. The little ones are sold by computer sellers. I know there are more expensive ones out there that have more power and time.

I think just sepating the power supplies may do the trick. When I plug a filter in out slowly it often trips the ground fault interrupted. I think we are running a long cord so the tank is on a ground fault circuit a and the tv isnt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfish View Post
    I think it was microcenter. The little ones are sold by computer sellers. I know there are more expensive ones out there that have more power and time.

I think just separating the power supplies may do the trick. When I plug a filter in out slowly it often trips the ground fault interrupted. I think we are running a long cord so the tank is on a ground fault circuit a and the tv isnt.
    Oh, so it is normal for there to be a spike when a filter is unplugged and plugged back in.

I am not certain if I got the right type of product to protect the TV from spikes, but I think having the TV on a separate surge protector/line filter should help. Something to tackle when I get organized. Life keeps getting in the way.

Blog Entries
    I think so, sometime just tuning one on will trip it. If trips repeatedly when running, the filter needs a new motor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk