AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metaframe Tank at March Mini-Auction

Board Of Directors heatherbeast's Avatar

Metaframe Tank at March Mini-Auction

Hey all,

Reposting since the forum reset. There was a lot of interest in the thread, so I thought I'd share. Metaframe is a brand name of a steel framed, chrome-finished tanks with slate bottoms that were popular starting in the... late 60's I want to say? Technically mid-century modern! canoe posted an advertisement for the brand that showed up in TIME magazine. Here's the URL http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showt...ll=1#post73276

So, here's the tank, undergoing a leak test in a 1960 apricot-tiled bathtub....

DSC_0483.jpg

Leak-test passed. :)

On to work on the frame. It needs a little bit of TLC.. there are some tarnished and rusted spots that wouldn't come out with soap and water.

DSC_0559.jpg

At which point, I discover that someone got a VERY GOOD RETURN ON INVESTMENT during their Goodwill trip, LOL.

DSC_0555.jpg

Anyway, the tank measures 9.5 x 11x 24 inches, making it 10.75 gallons. We'll say 10 for now, although the dimensions are not standard. Stay tuned for some restoration pics. Currently I have 2 pairs of blue endlers in there, and a breeding pair of dwarf orange platies. At some point I'll add an oto, based on advice from the previous thread. I'll work on making the hood and filtration more appropriate for the time period after my eventual move in May or June. Thanks for having a look, folks!

That is too funny! Some very fine wet sand compound or maybe silverware polish should bring a lot back, but some areas might need some touch up paint to fill in.

Such a cool tank... I should have kept bidding! lol

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Well, I do have some experience with chrome from the automotive world. Chrome is very soft. As it turns out, a little bit of white vinegar and aluminum foil does wonders.

DSC_0570.jpg

Rubbing with a few layers of flat foil between fingertips and the surface seems to do the trick.... OH HEATHER WHAT HAVE YOU DONE IT LOOKS HORRIBLE
    DSC_0574.jpg

Wiping away with a soft damp cloth, and then WIPING AGAIN to dry it -- it really is like detailing a car. WHOA hey it looks pretty decent.

DSC_0575.jpg

And there is where I plan to set it. No stand or lid for now...

DSC_0584.jpg

To be continued!!!

Metaframe Tank at March Mini-Auction

Haha, looks really good! Love all the detailed comments and pictures, it's coming along nicely.

Wow that's a cool trick!

So awesome Heather!!! Always a project I have wanted to do, but never got around to it. Definitely following along!
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Just FYI there is a guy on the NGAG Facebook group selling 2 of these for best offer .

Thanks for the heads-up! Is it you? ;) I'll rejoin the group, it's been a while. It was a little rough at the beginning when it was first formed.

U R welcome . No not me . It is Mathew Davison . I would like to have the tanks but I have enough already....lol