AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish ID Please

I was thinking a pseudotropheus, and it's also a dwarf cichlid.

Dwarf as in apistogramma mcmasteri. The LFS proprietor even said that he had another customer that was waiting for them to color up because the other customer was looking for a female. That was enough for me to seal the deal of $45 without completely examining them. . On a separate trip to this store (over an hour away) I bought two other apiatogramma (that really were apistos) and they died within two days. Needless to say I'm not going back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel dumb but months later I just want to identify them and figure out something else to do with them. I don't keep Africans at all. We have a fish room and a new 75g (thanks petsmart) that we're are thinking of doing either Africans or discus. Not sure which yet. But i need these out of my peaceful SA 125g.

It really doesn't look like a mcmasteri. The line across the body is a bit misleading, I wonder if they mixed up some juvenile bags. I don't like lfs apistos, they're often washed out or not in a befitting tank and it's hard to know what you're getting.

I like to keep softer water fish cause that's what is on tap. Im just a lazy fishkeeper like that. After losing the pleco, I'd be looking to rehome them too.

My tap is about 8.0 but I use RO among other things but I've had SA and CA for the last 20+ years (middle school lol).

Wow that's a lot different than my tap. Does it keep the ph if it sits for a day? If I had that, id probably try a African tank to mix things up a bit.

Sometimes I think we get too hung up on PH. Have you checked your KH and GH? Betting they are fairly low? I'm on well water now and out of the tap my water is 8.0 and it stays in the 7.8 to 8.0 range but the funny thing is the GH is 3 and the KH is 5. So with a PH of 8.0 most people would consider my water hard but if they only know about the GH and KH they would consider it soft. What I do know is that my Discus are breeding like crazy and even my wilds seem to be very happy with the water.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast

It definitely looks like an African cichlid. I think something in the Pseudotropheus, Melanochromis, Labidochromis type fish. They definitely get aggressive. And while they can acclimate to a soft/tannin aquarium they typically don't do well in one longer term. Might start having issues after a year or 2.
    Last edited by aXio; 03-27-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
    Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404
    Email - jakub@premieraquatics.net

aX·i·o
    ·mat·ic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Sometimes I think we get too hung up on PH. Have you checked your KH and GH? Betting they are fairly low? I'm on well water now and out of the tap my water is 8.0 and it stays in the 7.8 to 8.0 range but the funny thing is the GH is 3 and the KH is 5. So with a PH of 8.0 most people would consider my water hard but if they only know about the GH and KH they would consider it soft. What I do know is that my Discus are breeding like crazy and even my wilds seem to be very happy with the water.
    I should have added that I bet your tds is very low also. Mine is a beautiful 62.
    Larry Bugg
    NADA (North American Discus Association) BOD Member
    SEDE, Southeast Discus Enthusiast