AquaRank.com

Upcoming Events for the Next 90 Day(s)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fish ID Please

I have not kept any Mbuna in years, but those are definitely Mbuna (type of Africa Cichlid from Lake Malawi). Look to be a Psuedotropheus of some type (Melanachromis were initially part of Psuedotropheus and were broken out). Psuedotropheus is truly just a holding class which are meant to be reclassified at some point. Last picture with the bars showing looks to be a Bumble Bee (cannot remember the exact scientific name for that one) while the first 2 still look to be a Melanachromis type of fish.

Bottom line, these guys all have attitudes, one of the main reason I haven't kept them in awhile. Other Africans like the Haplochromis, Aulonocara (Peacocks), and the cichlids from Lake Tanganyika are not as aggressive. I have never really gotten into the Victorian cichlids, so I will defer comment on them.

Hope this helps.

Please keep in mind that is has been over 25 years since I last kept Mbuna. The triplets of terror look like they might be Mbuna hybrids, I had some cross mingle in a fully rocked out 40 long and the results were all kind of muddy and nondescript looking like these. My vote is Frankenfish.

Melenachromis aurautus, mean as hell, either go with an mbuna tank or get rid of them
    An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste